PDA

View Full Version : Stopping at weigh stations

Viva Las Vegas JDR
09-27-2012, 08:43 PM
My wife asked me today do we have to stop at weight stations and I said I have no idea and kept on rolling so here it goes: does anyone know if you have to stop at weight stations?

1993Newell
09-27-2012, 10:19 PM
For personal use, no you do not need to stop.

fulltiming
09-27-2012, 10:23 PM
When I started fulltiming in an RV, I pulled into a weigh station based on the signs about GVWR. The Weigh Master ask me what I was doing jamming up his line. Haven't stopped at one since.

jWolfe
09-27-2012, 10:59 PM
Those are for truckers you don't need to worry yourself with them.

Neweller
09-28-2012, 12:29 AM
The only reason a coach would pull into a weigh station is if it was towing a trailer with a race car or a trailer used in conjunction with a business. I believe that still varies from state to state but have heard they are starting to enforce it in states like Colorado and some others. Some folks just chance it and keep rollin'. If you're a business they want the money! For the most part you don't have to worry about it.

JustDustin
03-07-2013, 04:35 AM
Weigh stations are suppose to be for commercial vehicles only. So you can just drive on. I have however also heard of folks being pulled into a weigh station by a state cop to check their overall length. But I personally have never had a problem and believe it depends on the state as well as if you just happen to be right before a weigh station where a cop would pull you in instead of having you pull over on the interstate.

rellick
03-07-2013, 04:44 AM
Here they all have a sign that says recreational vehicles exempt

1993Newell
03-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Well Keith that makes it nice & easy. No confusion there. :thumbsup: