PDA

View Full Version : effects of weather on solar panels

Newell Attack
09-27-2012, 10:18 PM
I want to put at least two solar panels on top of my Newell Coach to keep the system charged when I'm not using it and have it parked. The thing I am worried about is the weather. Are solar panels going to get broken during a hail storm or are they built strong enough to withstand direct hits of who knows what size.

Jeff

folivier
09-27-2012, 10:41 PM
I'll let you know next month. I have 4 panels on my roof and it's been in Cottonwood, AZ since May.
Not sure of the rating but I've seen panels go through hurricanes here in Louisiana and hail storms, but ours here are usually pea sized.

Neweller
09-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Jeff, it is not real common for good quality solar panels to be broken by hail, it is actually much rarer than one would think. If the hail was the size of baseballs and could break a windshield it would be possible. Make sure you list it on your RV insurance so it is covered just in case.

MarkofSJC
10-09-2012, 11:56 PM
I'll let you know next month. I have 4 panels on my roof and it's been in Cottonwood, AZ since May.
Not sure of the rating but I've seen panels go through hurricanes here in Louisiana and hail storms, but ours here are usually pea sized.

Jeff,
In the AZ area, I would think a much larger effect would be those tremendous sand storms that have occurred at least twice in the last couple of months. The amount of dust left sitting on a flat surface would be like it being in a deep shade area, I'd think.

Curious what you find, when you get to the coach.

Mark