PDA

View Full Version : time-zone-changing clock? Do they exist?

Viva Las Vegas JDR
10-06-2012, 10:42 PM
I often thought it would be nice to have a clock for our RV that automatically changes the time when passing through different time zones. I know my cell phone does it, but does anyone know where to get a clock that does it?

Barthman
10-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Don't Radio Atomic Clocks change time zones automatically? Or maybe you have to hit a reset or something after entering?

Are you wanting a clock to basically notify you as you are driving thru or mainly after you stop?

NewellCrazy
10-07-2012, 06:38 AM
we have two atomic clocks one Westclox and one Oregon Scientific, very accurate but we have to manually change the zones. Another one to try is La Crosse Technology. one of them probably has what you want.

fulltiming
10-07-2012, 03:30 PM
I am not aware of atomic clock that has a gps in it along with the software to be able to detect its location. A cellular phone picks up its signal from a cell tower that carries the time. If you notice, many times, you may travel miles after a time zone change before the phone changes time when the signal switches to a cell tower in the new time zone. Other times it happens fairly quickly. I doubt that there is enough demand to cause a manufacturer to install a gps and the computing power to search for the current coordinates and locate the time zone automatically or to install a cellular receiver that would allow it to pick up the time information off of the nearest cell tower. If would be a nice feature.

The Newell
10-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Don't know if this is what your searching for, Its a wrist watch GPS and more.

Tech4O Discover Wrist-Top GPS Watch, Men's Watches, Men's Clothing Accessories, Men's Casual Clothing, Clothing : Cabela's (http://www.cabelas.com/mens-watches-tech4o-discover-wrist-top-gps-watch-1.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03446508&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=599AE2E0-DCC0-E111-8DC4-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:filter=43600811351&mr:ad=19135901951&mr:match={matchtype}&mr:adType=pla&mr:keyword={keyword})

Dom Ferris
10-07-2012, 04:14 PM
We have a few Atomic Clocks that use radio waves that receive signals from the US Government Atomic clock. This automatically adjusts the time within seconds every day..but you have to reset the time zone. Then they reset to that time zone within 15 minutes. They also do recognize daylight savings time.