PDA

View Full Version : My Coach Batteries are Running Low is This Normal?

Jack Fouts
10-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Batteries Running Low
When parked at home, if i do not plug into house power, my coach batteries run down Is this normal?

NewellCrazy
10-10-2012, 01:58 PM
All batteries will discharge over time even if disconnected. It is best to use a maintainer type charger. Allowing them to repeatedly discharge below 50% state of charge will drastically reduce the service life.

farmell
10-10-2012, 02:31 PM
How long are you parked? Both house and chassis batteries?

We often leave our coach unplugged for a month at a time during winter weather and both house and chassis batteries are fine.

Note, you should have a cut-off switch that will disconnect all house battery functions from the batteries, thus eliminating slow maintenance battery drains that will accumulate over time. Do you shut that off?

The Newell
10-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Even with a battery disconnect switch, batteries can self discharge over time. Obviously a disconnect switch at the battery removes all loads. "Master" switches may not disconnect all loads and leave such things as radio memory, clocks, gas detectors, etc. powered. These loads will hasten the discharge of the battery. A good quality battery maintainer that won't overcharge your batteries is a wise investment if you don't already have an inverter/charger with a "float" stage to maintain the batteries.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
10-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Moderator is correct. The master cut off switch is not a complete shut down. Why not leave the coach hooked up to power?

prairieschooner
10-11-2012, 01:25 AM
We often leave our 82 disconnected in storage. I have made sure that all loads are diconnected by the battery switches. We can leave the coach this way for months and still have our batteries charged.
II would suggest that you do a test by disconnecting the battery cables and do another test. The other way would be to use an amp meter to check for a power drain.