View Full Version : Diesel Fuel in Arizona

10-10-2012, 01:16 PM
I realize Arizona has a special use tax on Diesel fuel. Yet, it is confusing for someone like me driving a motor home with a diesel engine. Should I fuel in the truck lanes or the car lanes? Which is less expensive?

10-10-2012, 03:37 PM

Arizona has a heavy duty truck fuel tax, I think it is around $0.18 per gallon on trucks larger than a certain weight, I think 18,000 or 26,000 pounds, motorhomes are exempt. Fill up at the car lane, and the cost is less

10-10-2012, 06:51 PM
26,000 pounds and/or more than 2 axles.

The Newell
10-10-2012, 08:21 PM
You can fill up in the truck lane. Sometimes easier due to your size and if towing a toad. Pay inside and not at the pump and they will only charge you the (lite diesel rate). By lite they mean under the weight limit or RV exempt. Some have special lanes for RV's.

Newell Attack
10-10-2012, 08:28 PM
When in Arizona I get my fuel at Flying J in the RV lanes. Their RV lanes usually can support big rigs with toads.. Then you don't have to worry about the trucker tax.

Newellin Thunder
10-10-2012, 09:07 PM
The label on the pumps says commercial vehicles or vehicles over 26,000 lbs.
I used the RV lanes at a T/A and others and didn't worry about 26,000 lbs.
We bought fuel, at a couple of Truck stops and it was way cheaper than Flying J.
They deducted the eight cents, in addition, extra charged commercial vehicles and had us sign a log and vehicle tag number to show the tax man.

10-11-2012, 07:47 PM
When in AZ I always ask before fueling. TA in Eloy would not discount for RV in truck lanes. We always fuel in car lanes where it is cheaper. 200 gals. @ .08-.20 per gal. pays for buffet or a cpl of hands of black jack!

10-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Here is the wording from the Arizona Motor Vehicle Division in their Vendor Brochure.
What is the rate of tax on use fuel?
Use fuel (diesel) in Arizona is taxed at two levels:
If the use fuel is used in the propulsion of a use class motor
vehicle on a highway in this state, the tax rate is $.26 for
each gallon.
1. A "use class motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle that uses use
fuel on a highway in this state and that is a road tractor, truck
tractor, truck or passenger carrying vehicle having a declared
gross vehicle weight of more than twenty-six thousand pounds or
having more than two axles.
2. If the use fuel is used in the propulsion of a light class motor
vehicle (such as a pickup truck), or an exempt vehicle (certain
school buses, government and non-profit vehicles – see ARS 28-
5432.C ) on a highway in this state, the use fuel is taxed at the
same rate per gallon as the motor vehicle fuel tax ($.18 per
(See ARS 28-5601, 5605, 5606).