PDA

View Full Version : Is it true that your motorhome must be level for the fridge to work?

Derek Knight
10-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Probably a total newb question, but I heard somewhere that your RV must be level for the refrigerator to work properly. Is this true with a Newell coach or does this fit more towards RVs like travel trailers?

fulltiming
10-13-2012, 03:09 AM
I always try to level the coach as much as possible but I have been significantly out of level and my propane/electric refrigerator has continued to work. I would not want to have it dramatically out of level for weeks at a time while running the refrigerator but for a short period it isn't going to be the end of the world.

Neweller
10-13-2012, 03:21 AM
I have had this issue a couple of times. In fact when I had a slow leak at the connection on my right rear air bag in a prior Newell, when it got to its lowest point the

fridge would quit working. This was a fairly new Norcold. This was on an older Newell and I did not have a way to balance the coach other than driving up on block or

digging out under a tire. But a few degrees tilt and there can be a problem. And sometimes like I think Michael was referring above that longer periods of sitting at a tilt

can be more of an issue then say an overnight stay or two.

Gone Busing
10-13-2012, 02:25 PM
I believe it is more than 3 degrees tilt. After that it will start causing a problem

prairieschooner
10-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Just try to keep in mind that the Ammonia needs to be circulated using the small flame. I found this and it may be very helpful;
Level Your RV

Propane RV refrigerators operate through absorption, where liquid ammonia flows into an evaporator containing hydrogen gas to initiate the cooling process. If an RV is parked on an incline, ammonia can accumulate in the evaporator tubing and cause cooling unit damage. To minimize cooling problems and prevent cooling unit damage, place a small bubble level on a refrigerator shelf or countertop. Adjust the parking angle of your RV until the refrigerator is level.

Neweller
10-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Steve, that is a great tip or piece of advice. Thanks Michael and Jay for bringing these points to light. It is frustrating when the fridge quits working over something as

simple as an non-level coach.

I was just reading a manual I have that addresses both the Norcold and the Dometics with the same answer based on degrees as follows; Maintain no more than a 3

degree angle or tilt of the refrigerator from one side to another (this is the refrigerator itself not the coach) and maintain no more than a 6 degree angle or tilt of the

refrigerator from front to back (again the refrigerator itself and not the coach). If you are going by the coach, than the opposites are true depending on location of

the refrigerator. 99% of refrigerators should be in a side placement in a Newell unlike the other possibility of being placed fore (front) or aft (rear) in a trailer or fifth

wheel.

Derek Knight
10-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Thanks for all your responses and input. :thumbsup: