PDA

View Full Version : How much profit should a dealer make on selling your Coach?

skipgailwalters
10-13-2012, 06:37 PM
We tried to sell our coach ourselves. Now we are thinking long and hard about having a dealer sell it for us instead. BIG question here for us is, How much profit should a dealer make when selling our coach?

Thanks in advance!

Dave-n-Marjorie
10-19-2012, 01:44 AM
I'll chime in since I am a Marketing Manager for a Large RV Dealer/Mfg. There are huge advantages of a dealer selling your coach. They can provide financing for the buyer, take the buyers trade in, show the coach 6 or 7 days a week, keep the coach clean and detailed, offer extended warrantys for buyer ect... Some dealers charge a 10-20% consignment fee. Remember, that if the deal gets close, the dealer will probably come down on their commission especially if the dealer is getting the financing. They might be getting a great trade where they can make more money than on your consignment. You can negotiate anything with them. Just remember, they want to move it. If its not priced agressive, they will not push it.

I have seen a brand new $400k coach sell for only a $4,000 dealer profit and Ive seen a 10 year old fleetwood double slide sell for a $20k dealer profit (none of those at where I work). Ive also seen consignments priced too high sit on a dealer lot for a year getting lot rot. As for me, I always sell myself. I price it for a quick sale. I know the wholesale values and most of all, I know the market. As we all know, Newells are not in the book, so that is a whole different conversation.

I hope this helps.

folivier
10-19-2012, 03:02 AM
So what are you selling?