PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Your diesel engine

Dom Ferris
10-13-2012, 07:24 PM
My engine is starting to accumulate diesel residue and I'd like to air spray it with some type cleaner/solvent.

In the past I've used Varsol to clean aircraft and auto engines with great results - but it doesn't have much affect on diesel fuel.

Looking for a product that won't hurt wiring, hoses, etc.
So far I've only tried the Varsol but thought I'd ask here before I went further.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1993Newell
10-13-2012, 07:37 PM
I don't know about Varsol. I have used Simple Green for years.

NewellCrazy
10-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Simple Green also works for me. I try to stay on top of it, not letting it get to dirty. I just spray it on a cold engine, let it sit a few minutes then hose it off, then go back and scrub any bad spots.

bigcatwally
10-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Only squirt a little Simple Green on the engine and then wipe it clean.

The Newell
10-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Everyone seems to love Simple Green, be aware it can cause hard to detect electrical connection corrosion problems. There are many warnings about using Simple Green in the Aviation Industry. This became such a problem that Simple Green came out with extreme simple green.

Other than the corrosive effects to electrical connections it is also taboo to use on high strength metal alloys due to Hydrogen Embrittlement which is a room temperature phenomenon where hydrogen present inside the material makes it brittle. High-strength steels, aluminum,, and titanium alloys are most susceptible. I bring this up as many who use Simple Green on their vehicles (http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/#)might be using it for other uses other than cleaning the shop floor. You also don't want to use cleaning agents that have a high alkali content such as Formula 409 or Fantastic!

Cheri Smith
10-13-2012, 09:12 PM
How often should we clean our engine?

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
10-14-2012, 03:26 PM
I recently had mine serviced at the Detroit dealer in Tucson, and they steamed cleaned the engine with no problems.

prairieschooner
10-14-2012, 04:43 PM
I also use Simple Green, but you have to be careful using it on Aluminum. If you use the Aircraft one that is supposed to have a different PH that will not attack aluminum.

speedingsport
10-14-2012, 07:10 PM
How often should we clean our engine?

I would suggest cleaning your engine once a year. Be sure to cover all sensitive components.

Cheri Smith
10-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Thank you!! What would be the sensitive components? and what should I cover them with?

Raymond N Priscilla Miller
10-16-2012, 09:35 PM
We use Simple Green also. Keeping your engine clean and tuned up will help to maximize fuel efficiency.