PDA

View Full Version : maximum water pressure allowed

David Carrol
10-14-2012, 06:53 PM
What is the maximum water pressure one should allow in the water pipes of our coach.

If I am connected to a rv park campground faucet, what is the highest water pressure I should use before putting a water pressure regulator onto the hose.

I don't know if I have a water pressure regulator built in or not which is why I'm asking and I just don't want to burst any pipes.

Thanks for any info.

David Carrol

The Newell
10-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Hi David,

Most recommend nothing over 60 lbs. which is about house pressure. When in doubt, use a pressure reducer on the hookup. Or do not open the supply valve far enough to create a problem. Both will keep you out of trouble.

Joseph

prairieschooner
10-14-2012, 07:02 PM
On my '82 we have a pressure regulator to keep the water pressure below 40 psi. I think that the Shurflo is at around 35 psi. I wouldn't go up to 60 psi on my '82 even though it most likely could take it since the design pressure is below 40 psi.

1993Newell
10-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Good thinking, great question. When in doubt find out the answer first because it will save you lots of time, hassle and money!

fulltiming
10-14-2012, 11:29 PM
My 1992 is marked that the built-in regulator is set to 35 psi.

lbrachfe
10-14-2012, 11:42 PM
60 to 70 lbs is max for most plumbing in the coach. pressure regs are set at 45lbs

The Newell
10-15-2012, 12:30 AM
Pressure or Flow - What's the Problem?

Many people don't understand the difference between pressure and flow, but you need to in order to solve your problem. "Flow" is a measure of volume of water delivered in a period of time. The poor shower is caused by low flow, as are most other RV water supply problems. "Pressure" is a measure of the force of the water, and it is measured when no water is flowing ("static" pressure). It is true that for a given plumbing system, the higher the pressure, the better the flow. However, there is a practical limit to increasing pressure to improve flow.

Don't Let Your Pressure Get Too High

RV plumbing systems are usually tested to a pressure of about 100 to125 pounds per square inch (psi), but to prevent warranty problems, RV manufacturers may recommend only 40-50 psi. Unfortunately, this may not provide the shower you're looking for. Most house plumbing operates at about 60psi, and this can be adequate for RVs, too. If your water supply pressure is approaching 100 psi, you are risking an expensive failure of your plumbing system. You should limit your pressure to 60-85 psi to be safe, and to do that, you can install a pressure regulator

MiracleJ
10-15-2012, 12:32 AM
I use a pressure reducer regardless of where we are (including at my house). I always put the regulator at the spigot to protect the hose. Mine is preset at 50 pounds. I have seen water pressure at a campsite over 100 pounds. The cheap box store brass pressure regulators that I have seen are preset at 40 pounds. Most significantly reduce the flow, making it seem like there is no pressure.