PDA

View Full Version : Steering Box

tuga
10-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Does anyone know where I can find a new steering box for a 1999 Newell?

I thought about looking on eBay, but I don't know which truck manufacturer Newell uses. Can anyone help me!

Richard and Rhonda
10-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Tuga,

Would you mind telling us what the symptom is? If it is just a little play in the box, that can be adjusted.

Richard

tuga
10-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Richard,

It leaks oil on the ground when the wheel is turned all the way to the left or right. I have found out that the steering box needs to be re-built. I have found a place in Houston, TX that can re-built the unit for about 20% of the cost of a new one. So that is what I am going to do.

I have learned that "rubbing" sound that the coach makes when I turn the wheel to make a 90 degree turn is caused from cavitation of the hydraulic fluid. Once the seals are changed the problem should be corrected.

Thanks for your help.

Richard and Rhonda
10-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Make sure when the box is rebuilt, that entire hydraulic system is flushed and refilled with new fluid. All of the steering gear manufacturers WARN against mixing hydraulic fluids. If you aren't 100% sure whats in the system, it's cheap insurance to replace the fluid and filter rather than take the chance of mixing fluids. I don't mean brands. Some systems use Dexron III, others use 30W Oil, others use speciality Hydro fluids.

Richard and Rhonda
10-17-2007, 09:48 PM
One more thing, that sound is also caused by the poppets releasing in the gear box. The gear box has a limit device that releases or bypasses the hydraulics once you turn the steering as far as it should go. Those are called poppets. If the system didn't have them, you would bend all the steering components when you turned the wheel all the way. Trust me, the hydraulic system is plenty strong enough to bend the tie rod and connecting rods without the safety of the poppets releasing at each end.

They have to be reset when the box is rebuilt. Make sure the shop does that.

tuga
10-18-2007, 12:11 AM
Two good posts Richard, thank you.