PDA

View Full Version : Xantrex Freedom Series 458 Inverter issues

Cheri Smith
10-17-2012, 02:20 PM
I have a Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter / charger. On my most recent trip it did not seem to switch from battery power to shore power. It seemed that coach continually worked off the batteries with the charger / inverter continually recharging the battery. I know inverters / chargers sometimes emit an audible humming sound but this time it seemed louder than usual.

The way I checked verify it was not running on shore power was to turn off the battery charger on the remote panel of the inverter /charger and see what happened. While running the water pump and fan for a period of time, I noticed the batteries were draining.

I thought that the transfer switch should kick in and run off shore power with the charger / inverter only charging the batteries as needed, not supporting the whole coach at all times. Is that a correct assumption?

prairieschooner
10-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Not so sure but what you are describing is similar to a problem that we had. A Circuit Board went out so I had to get the unit repaired. The good thing is that I had installed a Source Isolation Switch for the circuits that I wanted supplied from the inverter so all I had to do was move the selector.
Let me explain what I did here. I took the shore/inverter power into a source isolation switch that has 3 positions Inverter/Off/Shore. I then took only the circuits that I wanted powered by the Inverter (Microwave/Forward TV/Aft TV) and connected those to the Switch and the Circuit Breaker, this also helps to ensure that all power is disconnected. When the Inverter Failed I was able to choose to by-pass the Inverter.