PDA

View Full Version : Any Suggestions for getting rid of mildew smell?

Gimpy
10-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Our toilet shut off valve failed and allowed water to flow for about two hours while we were out. I cleaned up and dried the rugs leaving the windows and door opened. Had water dripping out of the basement compartment for a couple hours. Now we are left with mildew smell! Any suggestions for getting rid of the smell?

NewellCrazy
10-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Dehumidifier. Check for local clean up companies that have equipment to circulate and dry the air.

GringoPhil
10-18-2012, 07:00 PM
What I would do is thoroughly dry the entire rig out.......leave windows and vents open, and only close them if it is going to rain. It might take a couple weeks to dry out completely. Then, when you do close it up, leave a couple windows or vents cracked an inch to let air flow through. You might also want to try something like this to help get rid of the smell. You can get it at Amazon, marine and RV supply stores, etc. It also comes in a "fast acting" version.

Star brite - Catalog - Product Detail (http://www.starbrite.com/sproductdetail.cfm?ID=1754)

Flydrifter
10-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Also, once you get it dried up, you might rent a comercial Ozone Generater and run it for a few hours, the Ozone combines with other smells and chemicaly alters them so you totaly get rid of the smell.
One caution, is don't run it too long as Ozone will dehydrate leather, causing it to wrinkle and crack if left on too long.

I have one, but unfortunately it's a long way from PA, and it's reallly a little big to ship.

Ray Penick
96 Newell, #420
Tulsa, OK

bigcatwally
10-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Try a enzyme cleaning product.