PDA

View Full Version : Starter Won't Engage

Novice Traveler
10-21-2012, 04:48 PM
I've been trying to start my Newell for a couple days now. The starter will not engage. Even using the switch to draw power from the house batteries results in ...... nothing.

Anyone have this issue come up and what was the cure? Hate to think what a tow is going to cost!

GringoPhil
10-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Tell us everything that does NOT work as it should when you turn the key.

Have you checked battery voltage? Is it 12+ VDC?

The Newell
10-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Is it doing anything when you try to start it,,Like spinning, or clicking, any noise at all?? Start with the easy things first, check your battery cables, take them off, make sure they are clean. Check all connections, batteries and connections at starter. (remove battery ground cables before you check starter connections.

Novice Traveler
10-21-2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks, folks. I got some work to do tomorrow, that's for sure!

77newell
10-22-2012, 01:50 PM
One other thing that can lead to the starter not spinning - the transmission neutral switch isn't closing. That happens occasionally on my coach in cold weather. I can bypass that switch by using the start switch in the rear electrical compartment. That switch also bypasses everything up front in the coach so if there is a problem with the wiring or key switch is bypasses all that. Just be sure the transmission is in neutral before using the rear switch.

Jon
77 coach, Civic toad