PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone really put miles on their Newell diesel pusher?

CoachCrazy
10-23-2012, 05:30 PM
I hope in the next few months I will be able to buy a used newell that will fit my budget. I want to use it for business and we will be traveling about 20,000 miles a year.
I've talked to quit a few people who only use their diesels a few thousand miles a year(2-4K). Does anyone really pile on the miles or is this average and if so then why would any one own a diesel?

NewellCrazy
10-23-2012, 08:18 PM
We did not buy our Newell to put billions of miles on it, because we don't. We may put 4 to 7,000 miles on it in a year max.

We bought our Newell because it was more dependable and constructed to last a life time over those cheapo rv's.

fulltiming
10-23-2012, 11:25 PM
As the weight of an RV goes up, the suitability of a gasoline engine declines rapidly. I would not think of purchasing a gasoline powered RV that weighed over 25,000 pounds. Diesel is the ONLY reasonable choice for heavy coaches. Newell introduced his first rear engine diesel powered motorhome in 1972. A few front engine units were produced until 1976.

The high torque of a diesel engine allows it to move heavy loads that would stress a gasoline engine beyond any reasonable expectations.

The Newell
10-24-2012, 12:13 AM
We have averaged 10,000 miles per year for the last 7 years on our prior Newell Coach.

Boyd Conversions, Tejas Coach, Evolution Custom Coach, Horizon Coach, Creative Mobile Interiors, Walker Coach, Signature Limo Builders, Show Hauler, Prestige Motorcoach. Bargain Bus News says check out the Luxury Coach Lifestyle!

prairieschooner
10-24-2012, 01:23 AM
Diesel may be the best reason if you will be putting on 20K Miles a year. Gasoline Engines just do not last as long.

Neweller
10-24-2012, 03:03 AM
From what I've seen, it is like some folks put a lot of miles on and others put hardly any and not near as much in between. There are the hot doggers out there that run

there coach like a car and money is not object in relation to fuel expense while some fulltimers try to stretch and stay put for longer periods of time. I have spoken with

many fulltimers and several share a similar rule of only moving about 100 miles at a time while staying for days to weeks at each stop. Then there are the folks that roll a

thousand miles for a week long trip like no tomorrow. Depends on what routine you adopt I suppose. I have know several RV and Newell owners who run so hard right

after getting their RV they burn out in short order as the country starts looking real similar before long from region to region.

lbrachfe
10-27-2012, 04:15 PM
In my dozen or more years have run as little as 10k a year and as many as 40k and each mile the coaches run better and better

speedingsport
10-29-2012, 03:24 PM
each mile the coaches run better and better

:dito:

ccjohnson
10-30-2012, 09:07 PM
We do around 12-15K a year in ours. And, it is better every mile!

MarkofSJC
11-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Note that many Newells are owned by race car drivers, who use these as "homes" following the circuit. Those guys can easily put 40k+ on a coach in a single year!

Mark

Hugo
11-09-2012, 05:02 PM
We have ours for trips short and long. Mostly short trips however we still manage to put a few miles on the coach. :thumbsup: Thats what it's for after all.

NEWELLWIZARD
11-10-2012, 08:32 PM
We put miles on our coach every chance we get! Which isn't often enough!