PDA

View Full Version : Newell motor coach rattle and shakes a problem with any years?

Chipper
10-27-2012, 11:33 AM
My family and I have been looking at a few Newell's recently and like the ride. The '89 we drove seemed to rattle more and have a little noticiable vibration in the rear.
Can any other owners offer input here?
Maybe certain years having different issues than others?
I can Honestly say without this here website I would not even be considering a Newell. Thank you.

fulltiming
10-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Rattles, especially with stuff in the coach are things that just have to hunted down one at a time and resolved. I have found the Newells I have driven to be less prone to rattles than most coaches unless loaded improperly (like dishes not protected from each other). If you are referring to a drive train vibration in the rear, that is NOT common. I would first check the rear tires for unusual wear that might either be causing the vibration or the result of an issue that needs to be corrected.

prairieschooner
10-27-2012, 02:31 PM
I agree with Michael. Our '82 doesn't rattle at all front or rear.
Start with the tires, what is the date code. This may a sign that one is coming apart. They could be badly out of balance or a bent rim.
It could also be from the driveshaft! Before taking our '82 on the road I took a look at the underside and the drivetrain. I found that the bolts had worked loose and 2 were not there! The driveshaft is fairly short.
BLOCK THE COACH BEFORE GOING UNDER IT!!
If the rattles are from a vibration, the vibration could be from numerous other parts of the drivetrain but I would start with the easy stuff first. You could also just look at another coach.

MrE
10-27-2012, 03:57 PM
I agree with Michael and Steve, you shouldn't have rattles or vibration in the rear. There is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed.

Chipper
10-28-2012, 01:41 AM
Thanks guys for the replys. As far as the rattle on the '89 Newell, it was more of a vibration coming from maybe the suspension/wheels/tires. I had a bus mechanic look under it and he said it appear to have some frame area cracking and so it has been removed from my possible's list.
The '87 needs a more interior work but seems to be better mechanically.
I prefer the look of the classic and kind of like the retangular windows do to size.
So I'll continue marching on.

MrE
10-28-2012, 01:58 AM
Chipper,

Might be worth a call to Newell, I know that on frame rail chassis motor homes the frame rails are tempered and shouldn't be welded. With the semi-monocoque chassis on the Newell that may not be the case, and it could be less expensive to have the cracks welded than it would be to do the additional interior work on the '87. Just my 2 cents.

jon

Neweller
10-28-2012, 04:21 PM
I haven't heard too much in regards to cracks on late 80's Newell's, but a few years back the factory had told a prospective customer of mine to be concerned on a 39' 1976 I was selling because the longer older Newell's prior to the air suspension had an issue with cracking I believe where the suspension mounted to the frame. The Newell I was selling did not have that problem. But, oh well.