PDA

View Full Version : DD Series 60 White Smoke on Startup

Archie T. Hogan
11-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Upon Starting after sitting for a few hours our 1995 Newell blows a bluish white smoke that smells like raw fuel. It coughs and skips then clears up after a few minutes. Newell then runs fine and might only skip and cough a little smoke. Any Idea's ??

Archie

The Newell
11-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Timing will definitely affect blue/white smoke, assuming it is not using oil to excess. If it is taking on raw fuel, it seems it should show up on an oil sample which if you have yet to send in I would recommend it.

Joseph

Ernie Ekberg
11-04-2012, 12:12 PM
if you are in cold climate, turn your block heater on for a few hours prior to start

77newell
11-04-2012, 02:22 PM
On my 6v92 white smoke is unburned fuel. Two things have caused it, cold engine as Ernie noted or a poorly atomizing injector or both to some degree. One thing to try; start it and let it run until the smoke stops or diminished noticeably and not a second longer. The check the temperatures of the the exhaust ports of the individual cylinders. If one or more are consistently cooler through several trials with time between to let everything cool, then you know it's either injectors (not cheap) or cylinders going bad (even more not cheap). I suspect that it is injectors since you noted burps occasionally when driving and the engine presumably hot, I doubt bad cylinders would give you that symptom.

jon
77 Coach

Richard and Rhonda
11-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Bad injector or leaking injector. Either way you are getting raw fuel in a cylinder when you stop. How many miles on engine?

Archie T. Hogan
11-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Richard, I have 143,000 Miles on the engine. I was going to try some injector cleaner but not sure if that is going to help.

Archie

Richard and Rhonda
11-05-2012, 10:09 PM
It might if the injector tip is dirty. If the problem is the injector dripping into the cylinder while engine is stopped it won,t make any difference.

For the injector cleaner to work you need to make the engine work hard and have the cylinder temps up to burn off the crud. Idling is a waste of time. Put it on the road and put you foot in it.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
11-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Actually, idling for more than a few minutes is bad for the engine since the excess unburned fuel washes the oil from the cylinder walls. Best to advance to 1000 RPM, and then run as long as you want.