PDA

View Full Version : loud turbo whistle

jimbo
11-04-2012, 01:09 AM
Previewed another Newell Coach today, This one was equipped with a 60 Series engine. Overall outstanding coach but the turbo, it makes a loud whistling noise and turbo boost is higher then what I would consider normal(about 45psi) when I gave it throttle. After few minutes the check engine light came on and boost wont go over 29PSI and whistle is not as loud. Ideas? My wife and I want to put a deal together but thought we should seek council from other owners before rushing into a purchase. Do you think this would be an easy fix or should we pass and keep searching ??

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
11-04-2012, 02:57 PM
I would take it to a Detroit Dealer and have the engine checked out on their computer. Also, an oil analysis may be revealing. If the seller will not agree to this, then I would walk.

prairieschooner
11-04-2012, 03:17 PM
I would advise having an Oil Analysis and you could have that mechanic look into the Turbo question for you.
A deal on a yacht almost always includes a Mechanical Inspection as part of the Surveys that will be performed. The Buyer is responsible for the costs involved with the Inspection although the Repair Costs are usually negotiable. If the seller doesn't want to cooperate then you need to decide if it is worth the repairs that could be open ended.

PS The Mechanical would most likely be 2-4 Hours at about $100.00/Hour and the Lab work another $50.00/Sample. Cheap Insurance on a large purchase!

NewellCrazy
11-04-2012, 03:24 PM
if boost is higher than normal most likely it's turbo actuator gettin ready to take a crap ,I'd replace it cuz if that's the culprit the turbo will run away when actuator breaks.