PDA

View Full Version : Engine won't stay running, Time for a tow and repair bill!?!

2StrokeDiesel
11-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Have a 6V92T Engine that will not start or stay running without starting fluid. Yesterday I posted about my engine leaking oil and this morning it wont start!!!

Has plenty of diesel, fuel filters changes recently. Engine spins fast. Almost like no fuel going into the cylinders.

Does the 6V92 have an internal fuel pressure pump or is it time for a tow and repair bill?

Just can't win for trying with this engine !!!

I have a love for Newells as a brand but wow I've had a ton of issues with this engine. :mad: :cursing:

77newell
11-05-2012, 03:56 PM
I had this happen to me on my 6V92. A couple things to check before you tow. Are the fuel filters full of fuel? If not then you have an air leak somewhere in the system that could be the problem. Since this problem started at the same time you noticed an oil leak it is probably the fuel pump which is located on the top fan end centerline of the engine just below the turbo. The pump has two seals, one to keep the fuel in and the other to keep the engine oil out. There is a drain hole in the gap between them which could leak copious amounts of oil if a seal lets go. Another way to verify the fuel pump is the problem is to put a pressure gauge on an unused tap on the secondary filter. When cranking if there is no pressure and the filters are full then the pump has gone bad.

Hope this helps, I'll check this site later today if you have further questions.

jon
77 coach

2StrokeDiesel
11-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Thanks Jon,

Yes the filters are full of fuel. If the pump is bad do you think this is something I can change myself or should I have the DD shop handle it ??

77newell
11-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Changing my fuel pump was more tedious than difficult, plus I had a selection of 1/4" drive swivel head sockets that made things easier.

The process involves dropping the coolant level below the bottom of the hoses connecting the top of the engine to the top of the radiator. This is necessary only to get access to the connections on the pump and its mounting bolts. Then it's a matter of disconnecting the fuel hoses and demounting the pump, and then reversing the whole process. It would be a very easy job if access where easier which it isn't because of the location. My engine is mechanical rather than electronically controlled so I don't know if the computer makes access easier or harder.

It cost $1100 at the shop that changed mine and I put in several hours of "free" labor" , the pump was around $100. If you are a reasonable mechanic the difference will buy you a lot of tools with money left over.

hope this helps and sorry for the delayed response
jon
77 coach

2StrokeDiesel
11-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks Jon,

Got it changed and now I seem to have more than normal blow by. I am starting to think it might be time for an inframe for the fact that I have to much blow by. Now I have good power, good fuel mileage , and does not use much oil. if i plug the bb (blow by)with a rag oil comes out the dipstick tube. lots of bb comes out the oil fiil tube. also lot of pressure in the coolant system. could a bad head gasket cause bb? i know it will cause pressure in the coolant

77newell
11-18-2012, 05:56 PM
These engines don't have the usual head gasket we think of that covers the area between the head the the block, instead each cylinder has a couple o-ring type seals between the removable cylinder and the block. If pressure from the cylinder is getting into the coolant then probably the top seal has failed. That would require removal of the head (after you have figured out which one), pulling the cylinder, and replacing the seal.

I would consider an in-frame primarily based upon the condition of the cylinders and rings. Having said that, if you have to pull both heads you might consider doing the overhaul since pulling the heads, at least in my case, involved much of the total labor due to access difficulties. The overhaul kit was less than 2500 for my 6V92. If there is any evidence of the engine having been overheated then this failure of the seal is typical and an overhaul makes sense. If you do have the overhaul make sure they check the flatness of the heads because head warping frequently follows overheating. It is also possible that you have a cracked head.

As regards to the "problems" with this engine it may be helpful to list what you've been through and see if there might be a common cause tying them together.