PDA

View Full Version : How loud is your genny?

Richard and Rhonda
10-27-2007, 01:24 AM
I don't have anything to compare mine too. The genny is the standard 20 Kw Kohler. It is not very loud at all outside the coach, but the low frequency rumble inside the coach is very noticeable.

The previous owner had the exhaust system replaced. I am wondering if that could be the culprit? He had the shop move the piping pretty close to the bottom of coach to keep it from dragging. I am thinking either the replacement muffler is not up to the task, or the mounts are not doing a good job of isolating the exhaust pipe from the coach.....

Hmmmmmm, I should disconnect the mounts temporarily and see what happens. Gee don't you hate it when your brain kicks in.

Anyway, how loud is yours inside the coach?

encantotom
10-27-2007, 11:50 PM
i am on the way home from a biz trip to ireland and the UK. when i get home i will run my generator and use a sound pressure meter to give you the sound level in db's. only way i know how to give you a meaningful measurement.

mine is a 12.5kw 4 cylinder diesel.

tom

fulltiming
10-28-2007, 04:44 AM
Wish I had a sound level meter available, I would post the data. Mine is most noticeable in the center bath where the exhaust pipe goes up to the roof. Outside the genset is quieter than the basement air. I also have the 12.5kw genset. It is quieter than the 6.5kw propane generator I had on my previous motorhome.

encantotom
10-28-2007, 08:49 PM
hi guys,

i used a sound pressure meter to get the db levels and got the following.

generator running only

in drivers seat 82db
at dinette area 76db
in bedroom 63db
standing outside directly in front of the generator slide 92db

8v92 running and generator running. 8v92 at fast idle (1200 rpm)

in drivers seat 82db
dinette area 80db
bedroom 82db

now only the 8v92 running at fast idle

in drivers seat 73db
bedroom area 82db

Threshold of Hearing (TOH) 0 dB
Rustling Leaves 10 dB
Whisper 20 dB
Normal Conversation 60 dB
Busy Street Traffic 70 dB
Vacuum Cleane4 80 dB
Large Orchestra 98 dB
Walkman at Maximum Level 100 dB
Front Rows of Rock Concert 110 dB
Threshold of Pain 130 dB
Military Jet Takeoff 140 dB
Instant Perforation of Eardrum 160 dB

regards

tom

Richard and Rhonda
10-29-2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks Tom,

Quality input. I'll track down a dB meter and measure mine.

This weekend while doing the end to end fluid swap, I noticed that the motor mounts for the genny are as hard as bricks. The noise I hear is really noticeable because of it's low frequency. I think I'll try to find some new mounts and see if that helps reduce the vibration transmitted to the frame of the coach.

encantotom
10-29-2007, 03:21 PM
the motor mount comment is interesting. i will have to check mine and see. i would have to guess that they would be worn after this many years and or hardened.

the sound pressure meter i bought a long time ago from radio shack to set up my home theatre. you can buy one on ebay for 25 bucks.

thanks!

tom