PDA

View Full Version : Tire Valve Extenders

MiracleJ
11-17-2012, 06:07 PM
I Had a slow leak on the outside rear tire on the Driver's side and, to be safe, had a Mobile Tire Service come look at it. It ended up being the Metal Braided Valve Extender. Removed it and everything is fine except that it is going to be difficult to check the tire pressure.

Am seriously considering removing the other extenders but have no idea how I will check the tire pressures on the inside rears.
are there an alternative to the Braided Extenders?

folivier
11-17-2012, 07:39 PM
I don't use extenders, yes they are usually the cause for slow leaks. I have the Tire Safeguard flow-through sensor tire monitors mounted directly to each valve stem. I use a metal extender to screw on to the inside rear tire to check the pressure. I have a small metal rod with a piece of plastic tubing on the end that fits over the valve cap to remove & install that. Works ok.

larryweikart
11-17-2012, 09:57 PM
I alos had a tire leak issue that was caused by stem extenders that I actually bought from Newell. I got rid of those and installed a tire monitoring system for $500. (which includes my 4 trailer tires) About the price of losing one tire.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
11-17-2012, 10:34 PM
My inside duals have rubber extenders that are allowed to flop around. No problem yet. On other coaches, I have used metal extenders but it is important to use a rubber plug that fits snugly into the wheel hole.

The Newell
11-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Most extenders leak at the seal where they join the main valve. If that's the case, it wasn't the fact that is was a flexible/brained extender that caused the problem. The best solution is the right size/shape valve installed in the tire itself, but that is not always possible in all configurations.

Solid extenders are available at many truck stops, RV dealers and NAPA stores

MiracleJ
11-19-2012, 03:48 PM
According to the Tire Man it was leaking from the rubber hose within the metal braid. There is no apparent wear on the braid and the leak was close to the steel tube that connected to the 'valve stem' not where it came back thru the Rim.