PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to run generator while driving?

Gimpy
12-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Is it safe to run my generator while driving down the road?

Franco

Viva Las Vegas JDR
12-05-2012, 01:45 AM
Yes, on running the generator while traveling down the road. Lots of people do it, for either air conditioners or heat.

Cheri Smith
12-05-2012, 01:46 AM
Certainly. It's quite common.

fulltiming
12-05-2012, 04:27 AM
Almost all of my generator hours are when the coach is in motion. I try to avoid dry camping so it is rare for us to run the generator when parked unless the RV Park shore power goes down.

larryweikart
12-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Absolutely. I had to run mine on the way home from our delivery at the factory. It was in the middle of the night when our "new" alternator failed.

afrench45
12-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Yes. Ive run mine from Oklahoma to California, Florida, and other places non-stop several times.

Neweller
12-05-2012, 03:12 PM
All these years I was reluctant to run my generator while driving. Because back almost 10 years ago, when I purchased my first Newell I had asked Paul Davis at Mr. Olivers the place where I bought it, if it was OK to run the genset while rolling, he told me it was not recommended because of the possible hazard due to a fuel leak etc.. The reason I asked in the first place, was due to one of his drivers just delivering a stretched MCI bus conversion from the north, and while talking to this guy admiring this conversion, I asked if that was the generator running, and he stated yes, that he needed to during the run, in order to keep warm.

After departing with the coach from Mr. Olivers in Princeton, Texas on our way back to Southern California during December (winter), and tired of freezing in my new found luxury coach lifestyle, I decided to crank up the genny and enjoy some heat.....Now, this was nice.

After talking with others later on, many told me that they run the generator all the time while traveling or rolling down the road. I'm sold on the idea! I have to believe that if there was any kind of hazard, it would be more with a gas coach or possibly a gas or propane generator. Owning a Newell or high-end luxury conversion designed properly, is a whole new world compared to some of the cheaper alternatives.

I'm not indorsing anything, just mentioning what I have done as with others here.

Has anyone ever asked Newell or other luxury manufactures to see what they say? I never have.