PDA

View Full Version : Newell Classic Wood Rot Replaced

Twins
12-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Well found another rain leak on my Classic Newell. Front Left Window Drivers Side, I had to cut out about 2FT x 2FT of wet wood under the window and replaced with 7 layer Marine Grade Ply Wood. Not a super difficult job and I would not be afraid to tackle it again if need be down the road if/when I find more rot.

Twins

Neweller
12-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Twins, your right. It is not all that hard to do. Cut around the damage, be careful on the aluminum verticals not to go deeper than the wood, drill the rivets and pull off the damaged wood. Now cut a replacement size, I used some liquid nails and re-riveted the piece back in place. Then repair or replace the wall covering. When I did this on my first coach, I ended up being probably too picky and replaced a whole sheet instead of splicing it. I was worried about structural integrity. One of my old nicknames was Overkill. lol

prairieschooner
12-06-2012, 02:10 AM
Next time look at this product;
Epoxy by the Leading Epoxy Manufacturer | WEST SYSTEM Epoxy (http://www.westsystem.com/ss/)

Follow some of the projects and you will find that it can repair minor rot issues.
Good Luck

Neweller
12-07-2012, 02:34 AM
Steve, that West Systems epoxy looks like some really good stuff. I may have to use this on another project. Thanks for the tip.:thumbup:

prairieschooner
12-07-2012, 01:57 PM
I have been using it on boats for decades, it is the standard of the industry. If you thin it out with say denatured alcohol the wood will absorb it and when cured become rock hard. When used with the correct filler you can do many jobs like fairing, laminating or filleting etc.
This stuff is waterproof even when submerged.

Neweller
12-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Sounds like the stuff when thinned with denatured alcohol, it performs something similar to the stuff by MinWax that uses two parts to strengthen dry-rotted wood. Basically the denatured alcohol allows it to adsorb and penetrate, then evaporates, leaving the epoxy to harden. Nice! I'll have to obtain some and play with it on a project.

prairieschooner
12-07-2012, 07:49 PM
yes, were using a product called Get Rot and also Smith's Penetrating Epoxy. Smith's has a real strong odor so it was less desirable and since we all had West Systems it made it much easier to use. You buy the Pumps so you use 1 Pump of Hardener to 1 Pump of Resin and then off you go.
Even though I am not working on boats anymore I still use it for repairs.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
12-07-2012, 09:36 PM
If you go with the West System, which I use exclusively, I would buy their thinner. You should also know that regular household vinegar will cut the epoxy which makes it easy to clean your brushes and tools as well as safe on your hands. Many users of the West System are not aware of this and wind up throwing their brushes and tools away. Good luck.

prairieschooner
12-07-2012, 10:44 PM
yes and denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner also works very well.

Neweller
12-08-2012, 03:10 AM
Chester, thanks for that info. My goodness, it's amazing what natural things like vinegar will substitute for and a do a great job. I have worked with painting chemicals for years and I'm still learning stuff. Darn amazing.

Steve, what kind of projects have you found great results with non-marine related?