PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel cage wont squirrel

HoosierDaddy
11-16-2007, 08:40 PM
I tried running the generator for a while today but it got hot. I discovered that the squirrel cage fan is not running. I tried to find the main breaker box, assuming that was the best place to start diagnosing the problem. The main breaker box does not appear to be where it was on my '78...I CAN'T EVEN FIND IT!!! Help! please.

Thanks guys

Dean

Richard and Rhonda
11-16-2007, 09:25 PM
I have most of the fuses and breakers in two locations. One in the passenger footwell. The kickpanel is held in place with spring loaded fasteners. The second is in the bedroom closet on the driver's side.

fulltiming
11-17-2007, 02:54 AM
The generator fan runs on 120 volts so you can disregard the 12 volt circuits in front of the passengers seat. I believe that the circuit that feeds the generator squirrel cage fan feeds directly from the generator. Check just inside the compartment that houses the squirrel cage fan. Mine has the wire coming in from the genset going into a small box and the wire to the fan coming out of it. I haven't had it apart but there could be a fuse inside that box.

HoosierDaddy
11-18-2007, 10:40 PM
I found the main breaker box today. It is in the far back corner in a closet within the rear-most closet. Everything looks good there. Still no power to the generator fan...I found two breakers on the generator "box" ...they were not tripped...looked fine.It's gotta be something simple. There doesn't seem to be any kind of switch or anything in the wire between the fan motor and generator. I guess I'll pull the cover off of the connection box on the fan motor.
I've got one of those small automatic 50amp "boost" battery chargers. I hooked it up to the four 8D house batteries Friday. Typically a dead battery wont seem to take a charge at first and that condition prevailed for at least 12 hours. Today they seem to be taking 10 amps (which is what I have the charger set on)..Maybe I can save them???

Thanks for the responses as I continue my education :)

JohnC
11-19-2007, 01:46 AM
The power for the genset cooling fan motor comes directly off the generator. The fan motor is 220 volts using both legs of the genset. Most common problem is a loose fan belt followed by dry shaft bearings. If you examine the shaft bearings you will see a small hole on top. A few drops of oil will normally do wonders.

HoosierDaddy
11-19-2007, 02:46 AM
Thanks for the reply John. The fan runs free..The motor is free as well, It appears to not be getting current.