PDA

View Full Version : Automated Engineering Corp Transfer switch

Mikeh
12-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Having a little trouble with my transfer switch. It won't transfer over when I plug into 50 amp sometimes. Has anyone else had this problem? Mine is a 2009 model. Thanks, Mike

Newell Boss
12-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Mike,

Is the power source switch on shore power, generator or in between?

Will Procter
12-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Most RV transfer switches won't transfer back to shore power while the generator is running not sure if you where running your genny or not at the time. The reason for this is there's nothing to ensure the generator is in sync with the shore power - if they're out of sync, a quick transfer will send a voltage surge through everything inside the RV.

It's also a bad idea to try and transfer when you're pulling a load through the switch - this is a great way to pull an arc and fry switch contacts.

Proper procedure is to turn off everything you can inside the Newell Coach, then plug into shore power and turn things back on. Same thing when you start the generator - turn everything off, then start the generator and turn things back on.

Mikeh
12-09-2012, 05:21 PM
The switch is automatic. You can't switch back and forth manually. When I get to the rv park and plug into the 50 amp service sometimes it wont transfer over. I think it is a little trash between the contacts. By the way. Everything is off when I do this. Thanks, Mike

Neweller
12-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Mike, a lot of times it ends up being the contact points on the switch like your thinking. Have you pulled the cover off to check the contacts? I have sanded or files them in the past and that fixed the problem.

Here is the link to a recent post similar to the problem you may be having: http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/power-generation/2589-my-generator-wont-power-coach-now.html