PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Repair Small Crack In Windshield

Newell Boss
12-09-2012, 03:44 PM
I have received a small crack in the windshield (just under the driver's wiper blade) from a stone being kicked up by truck. I have heard of the type of repair, wherein "liquid glass" is pressurized into the crack

Two questions:
- any down side to getting this type of repair?
- best place to get this done?

Thanks for the information!

NewellCrazy
12-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Any glass shop can do it. Check with your insurance company as many will cover the repair. Also most auto parts stores have a kit so you can do-it-yourself. If your insurance covers, go that way first.

Retired63
12-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Most insurance companies have contracts with companies that do the fix and will set it up for you.

Cheri Smith
12-09-2012, 06:54 PM
We had one repaired earlier in the year and the guy came to the RV park. It took him about an hour, and cost $70.

express1
12-10-2012, 08:44 PM
And you still have a broke windshield.

I was in the automotive glass business from 68 to 2008. My companies have replaced over 400,000 windshields. Broken glass is BROKEN GLASS. the crack can be filled with different materials but it is still broken. Replacement is best route. Also, most windshields after 10k miles have lots of surface scratches and scars.
Replace it!

MrE
12-10-2012, 11:35 PM
And you still have a broke windshield.

I was in the automotive glass business from 68 to 2008. My companies have replaced over 400,000 windshields. Broken glass is BROKEN GLASS. the crack can be filled with different materials but it is still broken. Replacement is best route. Also, most windshields after 10k miles have lots of surface scratches and scars.
Replace it!

So, I have a pretty good idea how you stand on 'cracked' windshields lol!, how about rock chips that have not yet cracked the windshield?

express1
12-11-2012, 09:06 PM
The repair can hide and prevent further cracking.....It still draws my eye to the repair area.....:o