PDA

View Full Version : Newell Coach Engine Getting Hot

BMG Coach
12-11-2012, 04:18 PM
When pulling a grade (even a slight one), the engine heats up. I down shift to get the RPM's up, and slow the unit down to 55 mph, and turn off the cruise control when it starts to heat up. I have had the thermostat replaced, the radiator cleaned out, and I routinely blow the radiator out prior to a trip. I recently installed an additional fans to help pull the heat from the engine. However, it still gets hot. I am seeking a solution to correct the heat problem and get more fresh air to circulate around the engine.

Prevost, Newell Coach, Liberty Coach, Wanderlodge, Foretravel, Outlaw coach, Millennium coach, Marathon Coach, Luxury Coach, RV, Bus Conversion

NewellCrazy
12-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Is your slobber tube from the engine long enough to extend back beyond the radiator. If not it needs to be extended in such a way that there is no dips in it that could trap oil or moisture.

Secondly, check the radiator by shining a strong light through it and see how much of the radiator is plugged. IF it is you will have to get it cleaned.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
12-11-2012, 09:48 PM
If your radiator is located in the back instead on the side, the slobber tube as mentioned above may be depositing oil on the lower part of the radiator. I had this problem on an Alfa, and pressure washing did not clean the radiator. I had to clean with steam. If all of this is true, you need to reroute the tube to the side of the coach.

The Newell
12-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Where is your radiator located? Side or Rear of your newell?

Joseph

MrE
12-11-2012, 11:57 PM
When pulling a grade (even a slight one), the engine heats up. I down shift to get the RPM's up, and slow the unit down to 55 mph, and turn off the cruise control when it starts to heat up. I have had the thermostat replaced, the radiator cleaned out, and I routinely blow the radiator out prior to a trip. I recently installed an additional fans to help pull the heat from the engine. However, it still gets hot. I am seeking a solution to correct the heat problem and get more fresh air to circulate around the engine.

It would help if you provided more information(year, engine, etc.) to the forum so that we can help you solve your problem I don't see any reference to your water pump, if it's not pumping water none of what you have done will help. It sounds to me like you need a good infrared thermometer to help isolate where your problem is.

ccjohnson
12-12-2012, 03:14 AM
We had ours re-cored, new thermostats, & hoses. It helped immensely!! However, on long grades with a heavy toad, we still have to drop a gear occasionally to keep temp down.