PDA

View Full Version : tow vehicle headlights keep shorting out

Ramblin Ron
12-12-2012, 04:05 PM
My tow vehicle headlights use the 9006 Halogen bulbs. I buy either Sylvania or GE bulbs. I don't touch the glass with my fingers when I replace the bulb (I heard that the oils from your skin can shorten the life of Halogen bulbs.) I see no signs of moisture in the headlamp housing. I have no other bulbs that require frequent replacement. My car doesn't have daytime running lights but I do drive with my headlights on day or night. I know that means more frequent replacements but I would think the bulbs should burn out at about the same rate. I've started buying the bulbs in two-packs & carry spares with me.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?

MrE
12-12-2012, 04:30 PM
I would check your wiring that was done to tow the car. I checked the Internet, and the 2010 Honda Accords don't have an issue burning out headlights.

Newell Attack
12-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Is there anyway there could be vibration? a loose mount, weak spring, etc.

The Newell
12-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Considering your vehicle is so new could it be possible that it still has the factory warranty available? If that is the case I would say take a trip down to a Honda dealer and let them sort it out.

Joseph

lbrachfe
12-13-2012, 02:14 PM
time for a www.towmate.com (http://www.towmate.com)

lbrachfe
12-13-2012, 02:17 PM
many carmakers void your electrical aspect of warranty when you harness up for a tow unless the dealer does it when the car is first sold

Ramblin Ron
12-16-2012, 03:11 PM
many carmakers void your electrical aspect of warranty when you harness up for a tow unless the dealer does it when the car is first sold

You are correct Larry,

I took our vehicle down to the dealer for repair and a couple hundred later found out I had a loose wire that was causing a short.

RR