PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Diesel Block Heater Preheat

Dom Ferris
12-15-2012, 04:01 PM
I have a switch at the rear electrical panel labeled "Engine Block Heater" that I am assuming is using shore power to keep the block warm. We will be leaving in Sunday morning at 5:30am, so I would like as simple a start up as possible.

I cannot find anything in the owners manual, but I am assuming that I leave the switch on all night.

Comments?

Dom

77newell
12-15-2012, 04:35 PM
I always leave mine on overnight as the heater isn't that big and the block really is. I was also advised to turn it off prior to attempting a start to prevent any surge of air from passing over the heater and causing it to overheat and burn out. I will admit there have been times I forgot to turn it off and it still works. Still, I plan to turn it off as advised === when I remember, which gets less often the older I get.

The Newell
12-15-2012, 06:09 PM
It is not a problem for the heater but will consume unnecessary power. I used a timer, set it to kick on six hours after being plugged in. Of course this depends on how late you sleep.

Dom Ferris
12-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Would power consumption be an issue when I am on shore power? I am expecting that the heater is not part of the 12v circuit, and requires shore or generator power.

NewellCrazy
12-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Dom,

Not a problem unless you're on a marginal shore power feed or paying by the KWh for electricity. Look at the block heater nameplate - it probably draws somewhere around 800-1000 watts.

Dom Ferris
12-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Thank you to every one who responded. I left the block heater on through out the night with no issues in which our Newell started right away.

Dom