View Full Version : Chemical that keeps potable water from freezing and safe to drink

12-17-2012, 05:02 AM
what do others do to keep your water system from freezing up, I was told you can put a chemical in that you can drink it but it just doesn't taste very good and also keeps it from freezing, I'm talking about the water used for drinking ,showering, & so forth, can any body help



The Newell
12-17-2012, 04:08 PM
never heard of anything you can put in your water to stop it from freezing that is also drinkabl.


12-17-2012, 04:20 PM
There is a non-poisonous, potable water antifreeze which is available in RV stores and many Walmarts. It is usually pink in color and often labeled "RV Antifreeze". It uses propylene glycol, which is safe for human consumption.

12-17-2012, 04:33 PM
RV antifreeze is supposed to be not poisonous but I still would not drink it.


12-17-2012, 04:43 PM
RV potable water antifreeze is considered safe to drink but not tasty. Ethyl Alcohol works too, But don't use methyl alcohol or the denatured alcohol available ins stores. They are poisonous!

12-17-2012, 06:24 PM
I don't believe that the RV antifreeze is to be added to your fresh water supply to keep it from freezing. The instructions on the bottle indicate that it is meant to replace fresh water to keep your system protected from freezing and not to be mixed with fresh water. There are also instructions for de-winterizing: Open all taps and run fresh water through system for five to ten minutes until all color disappears.

12-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Just because they say it's safe and tasteless. Whatever you do..don't drink the stuff!

12-18-2012, 03:43 PM
RV antifreeze, made from Polypropylene Glycol will not kill your grass, your dog, your goats, your uncle that drinks too much at Thanksgiving and Christmas, or even your chickens. I agree with Jon, I would not add it to your fresh water tank.

Here is some additional information:

Propylene glycol, the primary ingredient in RV anti-freeze, which is a common food additive that is also used in many other products such as cosmetics. It's both biodegradable and water soluble, and requires no special handling in normal consumer quantities.