PDA

View Full Version : Fungus in fuel tanks

Wally Arntzen
11-26-2007, 09:57 PM
I got the dreaded fungus. Does anybody know what is the best type of fungiside and where to get it. :(

Richard and Rhonda
11-26-2007, 10:22 PM
I don't have a brand name for the fungicide, but I have seen it in most truck stops. You are probably aware to put in a supply of spare fuel filters because some report rapid clogging after killing the slime.

fulltiming
11-26-2007, 11:57 PM
In the "Detroit Diesel Engine Requirements - Lubricating Oil, Fuel, and Filters" www.detroitdiesel.com/pdf/vocations/Lube-Oil-Fuel-Requirements.pdf , they recommend Biobor JF or equivalent. Not sure what brand Newell uses but I would think any brand that you find at a major truck stop would be satisfactory.

You may want to open the fuel tank petcocks and drain the worst of the fuel out (into a suitable container of course).

As usual, Richard is right on about the fuel filters. If you have a bad case of bio-growth inside the tank, you will plug up fuel filters like crazy, time and time again.

encantotom
11-27-2007, 12:16 AM
ok....how do you know you have fungus in the fuel? how would i go check to see if i do?

thanks

tom

Wally Arntzen
11-27-2007, 01:08 AM
I have had excessive smoke for about a year and recently put in a new Detroit fuel filter with the glass top and took a trip to North Carolina from Minnesota. The filter was nearly filled to the top when I returned and was told by a friend at a bus garage what it was. The coach is an 88 and runs well with plenty of power.

Wally Arntzen
12-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Mike, I appreciate your input on the BioborJF, I located it at West Marine in Mpls and will pick some tomorrow. I'm leaving for Arizona in 12 days and it will be a good time to start cleaning it up. I do have a supply of filters with me.