PDA

View Full Version : Summer/Winter Diesel Fuel Differences

Bus Hunter
12-22-2012, 05:00 PM
What's the difference between winter and summer fuel, besides anti-gel?

NewellCrazy
12-22-2012, 05:44 PM
If you need "winter" fuel, your local fuel stations will have it. Diesel is ok down to around 10-15 degrees or so. Winter diesel (#1 instead of #2) is for sustained, severe cold in the far northern US and much of Canada.

MiracleJ
12-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Also remember don't put summer diesel in an auxiliary tank and expect it to work in winter. You can purchase additives that will take care of this problem but you're going to have to put those in ahead of time or place the vehicle in a warm shop overnight to mix it in. If you spend much time in the Arctic temps then you'll have tank heaters in place as even winter diesel will gel at frigid cold temps.

Retired63
12-23-2012, 12:43 AM
You really don't need to worry about it unless you fill up in a warm region and drive to a much colder one without using up most of your fuel. The major fuel companies blend the fuel to meet the seasonal temperatures and the ASTM has standardized diesel "pour points" for wintertime diesel fuels.

See the ASTM winter fuel table here: ASTM pour point temperatures (http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-10.html)

There are a variety of anti-gel additives available for fuel that will be stored at very cold temps, around zero or less.

Newell Attack
12-23-2012, 02:55 AM
What you don't want to do is have lots of summer diesel in your tank(s) as you travel towards colder climates in winter.

I always added a anti-gel additive on the last fill before winter. The rig started so quickly that it took too long to get oil pressure because the oil was so cold - even with the block heater.

So going into winter was the only time I used additives in the fuel.

Vantare
12-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Winter diesel is a mixture of diesel and kerosene to lower the waxing point of the parafins in the fuel.. Around here the mix is about 80% dsl and 20% kero

Newellin Thunder
12-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Winter fuel does not produce as much energy as summer blend fuel which is one of the reasons why your mileage is worse in the winter.

"Winter" diesel is just a blend of #1 and #2 diesel, at least where I live. Now you generally find #1 and #2 as choices. Many years ago you just had one diesel pump and they changed the mixture when the weather turned cold. I imagine in the summer it was just #2.

Bus Hunter
01-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Thanks members you have enlightened me.