PDA

View Full Version : Kohler 12.5KW Generator Stops after 15 Seconds

Newell Attack
12-26-2012, 05:14 PM
I need some help. Kohler 12.5KW Generator. Will start then stop after about 15 seconds. I can start again my manually closing the choke but will soon sputter out and die. Have to let set about 2 min. and can restart.

Thanks,

Jeff

MrE
12-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Sounds like a fuel issue, clogged filter or water. I would check the air filter and clean/replace as necessary and replace the fuel filter. If you have a water separator I would maintain it also. Good idea to fill your new fuel filter with fuel prior to installing so that you don't lose prime.

HoosierDaddy
12-27-2012, 12:56 PM
I agree with Jon... Also check fuel shut-off solenoid. That is on right side of engine connected to the rod that leads to the fuel pump shut-off valve. It may appear to be a "choke". If solenoid is weak it will shut off fuel to pump. Check for proper voltage to solenoid before replacing.

77newell
12-27-2012, 02:45 PM
If after changing the filter it continues to behave badly let us know. It sounds like restricted fuel flow though the response to the "choke" is a bit mystifying as diesels don't have chokes like you used to see on gas engines so if the gen is indeed diesel you are moving something else the responders above have guessed at what you moved but we can't know for sure until you describe its location on the engine.

Now, if a fuel filter fixes the immediate problem you may still have a future problem in waiting. How long since you last changed the filter, if it isn't that long you may have an algae problem and you will at a minimum want to treat the tank with algicide and expect to consume a bunch of filters until the "infection" is gone.

express1
12-27-2012, 03:15 PM
The little I know, sounds like common issue. Sucking air!

ccjohnson
12-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Possibly the fire extinguisher safety shut-off? It is is designed to prevent generator from running if the charge on automatic fire extinguisher is low.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
12-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Clint, I would be interested in more information on the auto fire extinguisher shutting down the generator.

ccjohnson
12-29-2012, 12:56 AM
It happened to us one night in Ruidoso, NM. Called Newell first thing in the morning & was able to get a temporary work around. There is a 4 hole "freezer" plug up by the control head on the generator. If i recall correctly, the test procedure I used was to unlpug the 4way plug (one of the wires will go to the fuel solenoid), next I ran a good 12V+ jumper wire to the fuel solenoid. When the generator started & stayed running I rigged a short jumper at the plug to get by. I would caution it was just a temporary fix until we could get to Newll to replace fire extinguisher. I hate to defeat a safety system that is designed to save my life & property! Be sure to keep a close eye on oil pressure water temp on generator as you have defeated the safety shut downs with this by-pass. The problem with the fire extinguisher was just age as far as we were able to tell which resulted in a very gradual loss of pressure over the years until it reched the point of shut down mode.