PDA

View Full Version : Do states actually enforce the vehicle widths regulations

Brian Atwood
12-28-2012, 04:43 PM
While investigating the purchase of a motor home, we noticed the fine print on one coach said, designed at widths greater than 96 inches. You should be advised that some states limit the width on some state and local roads to 96 inches. Please check the regulations of those states you are planning on visiting.

Do states actually enforce the regulations that vehicle widths can not be over 96 inches? The coach we are considering is 5 inches wider than the "limit".

Brian

MrE
12-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Brian, here is a link to an article that covers your question in depth. Two-Lane Roads Quarterly - Widebody RV caution (http://www.two-lane.com/widebody.html)

The readers digest version is 102" wide vehicles are not always legal but the only time you would probably ever have an issue is if your width caused an accident.

jack14r
12-28-2012, 05:37 PM
I have a Daves custom boat that is 106 wide and tow it all the time and never get stopped.

NewellCrazy
12-28-2012, 06:01 PM
my understanding is 102 inches is the legal width. Until several years ago it was 96 inches, but perhaps there are some local road restrictions, though I have never come across any.

There are weight restrictions in effect on some roads and bridges, and height restrictions for some underpasses. These can be learned by buying a trucker's atlas at any truck stop

The Newell
12-28-2012, 11:32 PM
The 102" in inclusive of everything except safety devices (like mirrors). However, nearly every luxury coach has awnings or other attachments that increase the actual width to >102", making all of us illegal everywhere. Fortunately, the law isn't strictly enforced.

Joseph

GringoPhil
12-29-2012, 06:28 AM
I don't know about Mexico, but there's no problem anywhere in the USA or Canada with a 102" rig!

stewart33
12-29-2012, 02:31 PM
I think it's safe to say it's not enforced. ;)