PDA

View Full Version : Power Cord Heating Up Common Problem?

GypsyCliff
12-28-2012, 04:55 PM
We've recently purchased a used Newell Coach and have a few things to work on.

The most worrisome is the very warm power cord that heats up when the AC is on. It only heats up at the plug and the first 6 inches of the cord so there is some resistance building up there. We are talking hot to the touch, like

I've cleaned the plug prongs but there is not much else to do.

I'm considering cutting the cord back about 12 inches and re splicing a new plug on as I'm guessing the old plug is a bit worn from years of use and may have some damaged wires thus causing the resistance to go up.

Is this a common problem?

Thanks,

Cliff

MrE
12-28-2012, 05:12 PM
A power cord that is hot to the touch is not a common problem. Either the AC unit is drawing more amps that it is supposed to (indicating it requires servicing) or the power cord is not sized correctly. There are charts available on the Internet that will tell you what gauge wires you should have based on length and amps.

jack14r
12-28-2012, 05:34 PM
I had one last year that was a moulded plug and it got so hot I had to turn off the breaker to let it cool before I pulled it out out the recepticle,I replaced it and the new one stays cool.

Newellin Thunder
12-28-2012, 06:15 PM
One thing that can happen with a power cord, especially if the plug is not of the molded type, is that water and other contaminates can enter the end of the wire and "Wick" up into the cord causing corrosion... I've seen it as much as a foot or more of corrosion on some wires I've checked.

I would cut back till you get good shiny copper and put on a new plug, seal it well using liquid electrical tape after assembly (You don't want that on the screws) and keep it clean and dry.

Many times motor coach power cords are left lying on the ground, the plug is plugged into an extension cord and left lying on the ground, it rains, a puddle forms and the plug (and the outlet end of the extension cord) are left under water. RV cords are not designed for this kind of abuse (Marine cords are, but a marine plug is over $100, and that is just the plug)

The Newell
12-28-2012, 11:38 PM
Sounds like Ernest's & the others recommendations would solve your problem. Good to know if I ever have that issue.

Joseph

GringoPhil
12-29-2012, 06:29 AM
There is one thing to do -- replace the cord. You are dealing with a 50 amp 120VAC circuit exposed to the weather in use. Get a new, molded cord from an parts supply and use it to replace your old cord. If you use an extension cord with the coupling out in the weather, seal it with tape and prop it off the ground.

A general caution: The prongs of a shore power cord can get oxidized by plugging it into a live circuit. RV 120VAC circuits are always under load -- from the battery charger if nothing else. When you plug in the cord to a live circuit, the load will cause arcing and oxidize the prongs. Every campground I have been in has a circuit breaker controlling the outlets at the site box. Trip the breaker off before you plug and when you unplug.

Phil

CoachCrazy
12-29-2012, 02:52 PM
If your power source (that your cord is plugged into) doesn't have enough amperage it will cause it to heat up. There may not be a problem with your shore line. If you are plugged into a regular outlet in your home it will be a 15A or 20A outlet.