PDA

View Full Version : Tow Capacity Is it a combination of the frame, engine, brakes, suspension, etc?

jimbo
01-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Hello all - I'm curious as to what determines a vehicles tow capacity? There's obviously a big focus on towing capacity on a lot of new vehicles now, so I'm just wondering how a vehicle's tow capacity is figured.

Is it a combination of the frame, engine, brakes, suspension, etc?

It's a little strange how a Chevy Silverado truck, for example, can increase it's tow capacity by 2K lbs or so, from one year to the next with seemingly very little changes from one year to the next. Or, why can Ford's F-150 tow more than a dodge with a bigger engine that has more torque and more HP?

So what determines a vehicles tow capacity?

Jim

Brian Atwood
01-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Here is an example, ford f250 with an 3.55 rear end has a gcwr of 16000 lbs yet the exact same truck with a rear end of 4.10 is 20000.
Your rating is based on engine, transmission, rear axle, and vehicle frame. Not sure if that helps you any but I hope it does.

Brian

NewellCrazy
01-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Add to that brakes, cooling system (engine and tranny), front and rear axle strength, wheel strength, tire sizes and load rating, weight distribution, and probably a whole bunch of other things.

GringoPhil
01-02-2013, 08:17 PM
And it will be the least of those many things that determines the actual weight rating. Unfortunately, the engineers won't tell you which one it is. In the case of an motor coach, it's often the tires.

The Newell
01-02-2013, 08:37 PM
I can say this. Exceeding your tow ratings can make for one large mess of the kind that takes tow trucks and police and lots of MONEY to clean up. If, that is, it can be cleaned up.