PDA

View Full Version : I flip the switch nothing happens with water heater

Twins
01-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Typically to turn on the hot water tank I flip a switch, a light turns on and you know its heating Here's the thing...I flip the switch and nothing happens. Just out of the blue it stopped working.
I've examined the breakers and fuses everything seems to be in order. I've even pressed the overheat reset button on the hot water tank itself. Still when I flip the "ON" switch nothing happens, not even the light turns.
I'm going to assume there may be an issue with the switch itself, however before I pull it apart and/or replace it, I'm hoping someone out there might have some insight. Is there something I'm missing?

Twins

David Carrol
01-03-2013, 01:23 AM
Have you checked at the control board for the presence of 12VDC?

Tell us the make and model and we can probably point you to a troubleshooting manual.

folivier
01-03-2013, 02:21 AM
What type of switch? The lighted switch on mine (electric Raritan) went out recently and had to replace it.

The Newell
01-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Could you bypass the switch and see if the heater works? That would confirm a bad switch or not.

Newell Attack
01-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Check your power source for the heater as well. And for the switch too. Could be as simple as a blown fuse.

Newell Attack

77newell
01-03-2013, 11:51 PM
On my 77 coach the switch is powered by 120V and then goes directly to the electric element in the water heater. Mine also has the indicator light to say it's on or off. If I had your problem and had made the checks you have I would switch the breaker off, pull the switch out its box, restore power and then test the switch on and off to see if power is passing through or not. I suspect it is not since you said the indicator light is off and I would normally expect it to light whenever there is power on the downstream side of the switch. If there is power downstream of the switch then I would check at the connections to the heater.

The future is unknowable in important ways and yet we have to place bets on it.