PDA

View Full Version : In Motion Satellite System Installation

Retired63
01-03-2013, 04:46 PM
We had this unit installed when we purchased our coach. Recently went up on roof to wash & noted wires running to the left & right of the coach from the dome with a few drops of what appears to be silicon attaching them to the roof. Looks kind of scary especially if you go under a tree & a limb catches it. Does anyone know if this is normal installation & can you cover the wires with some kind of tape? Couldn't find anything in the installation manual about this & had assumed the authorized dealer we purchased from would do the correct installation.

Newell Attack
01-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Probably a typical install. You may be able to dress it up a little with wire loom.

lbrachfe
01-03-2013, 05:17 PM
cover it all with self leveling lap sealent.

MrE
01-03-2013, 05:39 PM
We had this unit installed when we purchased our coach. Recently went up on roof to wash & noted wires running to the left & right of the coach from the dome with a few drops of what appears to be silicon attaching them to the roof. Looks kind of scary especially if you go under a tree & a limb catches it. Does anyone know if this is normal installation & can you cover the wires with some kind of tape? Couldn't find anything in the installation manual about this & had assumed the authorized dealer we purchased from would do the correct installation.

The first and last time I had wiring done by the 'authorized dealer' was when I had cable installed in my first home. The 'installer' drilled holes 6" out from the walls in my hardwood floors. Unless I personally know the installer and their skill level, I pre-wire everything before the installer shows up.

NewellCrazy
01-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Links Removed

GringoPhil
01-03-2013, 08:28 PM
I just saw something like that on top of another coach. We were in a park in Montana that had terraced sites. I could see several wires running from what appeared to be a Winegard HD dish towards the front cap and through the roof. Apparently because the new HD dish requires so many cables and if your rig is not pre wired, they just run the cables up to where the TV and the rest of the video stuff is, and drill a hole. Not the most aesthetic choice for sure, but I guess it works.

I would prefer a much more professional looking install,

Phil

MrE
01-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Check out these links:
links removed

I clicked on your link and got a WOT (Web of Trust) warning. I have only gotten these warnings on really suspect sites, you might want to find a different supplier.

express1
01-03-2013, 09:45 PM
The first and last time I had wiring done by the 'authorized dealer' was when I had cable installed in my first home. The 'installer' drilled holes 6" out from the walls in my hardwood floors. Unless I personally know the installer and their skill level, I pre-wire everything before the installer shows up.

Absolutely amazing what you can pay people to do in TODAYS WORLD!!!

I also watch an alarm guy drill from the attic down and out thru the side of $20.per.ft. cypress crown moulding...He said sorry then drill another hole in the wrong place about 10 min. later:cursing:

express1
01-03-2013, 09:50 PM
I also watch Newell install a coax cable across Cannon's 07 white roof then cover it completely with black silicone spread it about 2" wide with a piece of cardboard.....:thumbup:

It Ain't goin nowhere!!!! UglY!!!

express1
01-03-2013, 09:53 PM
I just saw something like that on top of another coach. We were in a park in Montana that had terraced sites. I could see several wires running from what appeared to be a Winegard HD dish towards the front cap and through the roof. Apparently because the new HD dish requires so many cables and if your rig is not pre wired, they just run the cables up to where the TV and the rest of the video stuff is, and drill a hole. Not the most aesthetic choice for sure, but I guess it works.

I would prefer a much more professional looking install,

Phil

My Dishnetwork HD KVH R6 requires 1 (one) coax. very clean install.:thumbsup:

NewellCrazy
01-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Thanks Jon links removed for now.

Sean

The Newell
01-04-2013, 05:14 PM
MrE Has the right idea, Wire it all ahead of time this way you get your satellite dish install nice and clean.