PDA

View Full Version : Smelling Generator Exhaust

Viva Las Vegas JDR
01-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Within about 15 or 20 minutes of starting the genny, the carbon monoxide alarm on the wall was going off and the smell of exhaust fumes was evident. We shut the generator down and opened all the windows to ventilate our newell. Not fun with 40 degree outside temps.

I started checking today for somewhere that the exhaust might be getting in and couldn't find any breaches in the floor area etc. Where should I check, carbon monoxide is very dangerous and not something taken lightly which is why I want to get this resolved asap.

JDR

MrE
01-06-2013, 07:27 PM
I would start at the exhaust manifold and work my way back from there. If I had to make a quick guess I would check the muffler under your coach for leaks.

77newell
01-08-2013, 12:20 PM
There are a couple things to think about. How recently have you run the generator without problems and what has changed since then. For example if you ran it a couple days ago without problems at the same location, the temperature is essentially the same but the wind direction changed then the problem is how has the change in wind direction resulted in exhaust now getting in the coach.

Also, as you walk around near the exhaust piping with the generator running do you notice any odd sounds that might be related to leakage.

On my 77 coach the exhaust runs under the body until just before the rear tires and then points to just outside the body. There are times when the air is almost still that the exhaust seems to pool around the coach so I made a vertical exhaust extension to carry the fumes to above the coach. It is attached only when circumstances require it.

Everything I know just ain't so

prairieschooner
01-08-2013, 02:15 PM
I agree that you should start at the beginning. I would get a Stethoscope type device out of the toolbox and listen at the Exhaust Manifold but you really should hear a "ticking" noise if a leak was there.
I would look closely at a Union or Coupling that allows the Gen to Slide out. Ours has a Pipe Union and I found it loose when I bought our '82. Also make sure that the Exhaust Pipe Extends past the end of the Coach.
I removed the Muffler for inspection and replacement of the Exhaust Tip as part of Maintenance.
Good Luck and really a good thing that you had Carbon Monoxide Alarms!!!!