PDA

View Full Version : Using Vinegar In Waste Tank

GypsyCliff
01-08-2013, 02:52 AM
Ever heard of pouring vinegar into the Black tank?

Cliff

Twins
01-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Never used it in the black tank but it's great for cleaning everything else so why not.

BMG Coach
01-08-2013, 03:58 PM
You can also add a little olive oil... http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/Smileys/default/wink.gif

I am continually amazed at the stuff people want to put in the waste tanks. Probably none of it is harmful, but mostly it is unnecessary.

NewellCrazy
01-08-2013, 08:10 PM
You might find this information helpful:

RV Waste Water Treatment (http://www.rvecafe.com/bwater.html)

Below is a quote!

"One concern I had about recommending no chemicals in the holding tank was that we were hooked up to a sewer system at the time so I could completely rinse my blackwater tank each time I flushed it (about every ten days). I thought I might think differently once I began the boondock lifestyle. Well, it's been nearly a year since we began boondocking and we still use no chemicals in our holding tanks. I DO wash out the graywater holding tank with vinegar every chance I get because it does create a foul odor if I don't but still nothing in the blackwater tank."

Randy J
01-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Interesting stuff. I knew you could clean with vinegar but never though of using it in the tanks. Maybe I'll try it.

larryweikart
01-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Sean: I wasn't aware that Newell installed 3 holding tanks. I have only 2, one for fresh and one for sewage! When did they start that or are you calling your fresh water tank the grey tank?

NewellCrazy
01-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Sean: I wasn't aware that Newell installed 3 holding tanks. I have only 2, one for fresh and one for sewage! When did they start that or are you calling your fresh water tank the grey tank?

Hi Larry,

That is a quote from that article I gave a link to. I guess I should had put that. I am not aware that Newell has installed 3 holding tanks either although I'm sure they would if you asked them to.:thumbsup:

Neweller
01-09-2013, 08:52 PM
I just added it for you Sean. One of the Older Newell's I owned had three tanks and they looked original but they could have been modified at one time. If so, the whomever did it made it look factory. I seen a later model unit down at Newell that had one tank for waste and grey divided. I think it was about two-thirds grey if I'm not mistaken. I'll have to look and see I have a picture of it.

speedingsport
01-10-2013, 03:07 AM
I have a few friends who do the white vinegar and vegetable oil method. They do it monthly and say its environmental friendly and also friendly on their wallet.