PDA

View Full Version : possible to run critical parts of the house using the diesel generator in our newell?

Lou Placentia
01-11-2013, 04:26 PM
My question is... if we were to lose grid power to the house, is it possible to run critical parts of the house using the diesel generator in our Newell Coach?

what needs to be done to send generator power down the big electrical cable to the house?

I know I could plug in an extension cord into one of the AC outlets inside the MH and then plug an appliance into the extension cord, like the fridge in the house or a lamp or whatever. This would be limited to about 15 amps though.

Is it even possible? Maybe there is a way to come directly off the generator ?

Just wondering...Just in case.

Lou

folivier
01-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Do you have a buddy plug? This is a 50amp receptacle in your electrical bay to power another coach. If so then you could go from there. BUT, make sure you follow local codes and use a transfer switch to prevent your power from backfeeding the power grid. Could electrocute someone somewhere working on the system.

Ramblin Ron
01-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Hopefully I'm explaining this correctly, The automatic transfer switch (ATS) in your coach won't allow you to back feed generator power through the shore cord - the shore cord is disconnected by the relays in the ATS when the generator runs. But you certainly could add a power tap where the generator connects to the ATS and use that to feed power to an entry point. Basically you want a 50A power outlet on the coach and the house and connect them.