PDA

View Full Version : Major Mechanicals

Doncamero
12-26-2007, 01:13 AM
I have heard that the 2 stroke diesels are out of favour with the EPA What does the future hold for owners of this type of engine, I own an '86 with an 8 V92C which I love, the sound, power and reliability.

Don Cameron

fulltiming
12-26-2007, 02:46 AM
The California Air Resources Board had drafted some proposed regulations that would be a problem for the two-stroke Detroit Diesels BUT the current draft proposal has exempted motorhomes. This proposal can be found here (http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents/071015_PROPOSED_ONRD_REG.pdf).

So far the EPA has been focusing more on cleaning up the emissions from new diesel engines than older technology, thus the requirement for the ULSD fuel and reduced emission engines built from 2007 on. Certainly a couple of the primary reasons for Detroit replacing the two-stroke engines with four-stroke Detroit's was emissions and fuel economy.

As the two-stroke engines grow older, it becomes more difficult to find mechanics that are experienced with working on these Detroit's. However, I feel that motorhomes powered by the two-stroke Detroit's will remain legal and viable for many years to come.