PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Repo purchased

cdat
01-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Well, for better or worse the credit union that was "auctioning" off the 91 repo'd Newell called us yesterday to state they were ending the auction and did we still want the coach as we were the high bidders. We did agree to purchase the coach and went down and put the deposit down to seal the deal. We know have too wait a couple of weeks while they get the coach to the glass shop to replace both front windshields and the one side window that was broken.
Did we overpay at $31k, maybe, the interior of the coach is in great shape, the exterior looks good, no noticeable rust on the chassis that I was able to find, nor rust on the exterior. I did take all the manuals and paperwork home with me and went thru most of it last nite. The coach appears to have had 3 previous owners, with myself as the 4th. The gentleman who was foreclosed upon for never having made a payment, well he might have not been creditworthy, but he did keep receipts and notes about any work he had done on the bus during the year or so he owned it. There are also receipts for maintenance that was done by the 2nd owner, but nothing from the first. The paperwork includes the original blueprints, etc. It does appear that all scheduled maintenance was done, even by that last owner. Receipts for oil changes, chassis lubes, etc are among the paperwork.
One of many questions I do have, the previous owner had the engine water pump replaced, if there was a water pump problem, how likely is it that the engine was overheated, or does the auto shut off prevent that from happening?
Our plan now is once we take actual possession of the coach is to take it to DD repair place, have all the fluids changed, belts changed, etc, and have the mechanics thoroughly inspect the chassis, brakes, air system etc. I will be doing my own maint in the future, just want a trained eye to do the initial, figure they are more likely to spot potential problems.
I'm sure I will have many, many questions in the weeks ahead, really appreciate the help I've gotten so far.
The coach paperwork lists the coach as #255, but haven't had a chance to verify this on the actual coach.

Thanks
John

rellick
01-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Congatulations on the New purchase, Hope it all works out good! Sounds like you got a good deal.

Hugo
01-19-2013, 03:47 PM
John I think you got a great buy. Congrats on the purchase! :thumbsup:

NewellCrazy
01-19-2013, 03:50 PM
Congrats John!!, Sounds like you received a good deal. Welcome to the Newell Family!!!

stewart33
01-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Way to go! Congratulations on being the high bidder and taking ownership with your new to you Newell! I believe you got a very good deal. Looking forward to hearing more about your coach.

Neweller
01-19-2013, 04:04 PM
John, glad you got the unit, I would have to think it was meant to be. There were a handful of folks including myself that were on that unit. I for one wanted to get a steal of a deal being so far away from where it is located, I kind of wanting a longer coach and on the mission of doing a later model engine exchange. Even at what you paid, that is always a feasible future option. There could be a great chance that the motor will be just fine and dandy for a long time. I know you were originally willing to pay much more for a prized Newell and believe all in all you could end up with something after some misc. upgrades a more personalized coach at a much healthier overall investment.

The water pump replacement thoughts will be pretty much sorted out after a thorough oil analysis. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for John that this is a great engine. Congrats again John on your purchase and let us know however we can help you. We also look forward to your sharing in this new adventure you are embarking on. Please share what you will. :thumbup:

Something everyone should remember around here, is that the more you share about the great improvements and care of your valued coach with others around here, builds up future tokens of value to your coach if and when the time comes you ever want to sell it. If I was a buyer looking around at Newell's or any other luxury coach for that matter and I knew how well an owner had prized and taken care of his beloved coach, I would surely pay a much higher dividend for it. Bar none!

Some of us are extreme DIY guys and others are not, but we can all learn and gain someway from one another. Hopefully that makes sense.:clap2:

MrE
01-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Congratulations! While you are waiting to take possession, you might want to take a look at this thread to get some ideas. http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/electrical/929-newell-classic-flourescent-light-fixtures-8.html

What ever you do, don't buy any fluorescent bulbs or ballasts. Just come on over and I'll give you what you need for free. I ended up buying a bunch of bulbs only to find that I had numerous bad ballasts, and found it was much less money to replace them with LEDs than fix them. That and I really like the light from the LEDs much better.

Nara Queen
01-19-2013, 04:19 PM
That's great! Congratulations!

ccjohnson
01-20-2013, 01:19 AM
Congrats on a great value! When up front costs are low, you can really afford to put some cash into "personal" up grading and make it truly your own custom coach. First off be sure tires are not out dated. Tommy at Newell has done magic for us on customization and we recommend them highly!

prairieschooner
01-20-2013, 01:41 AM
Sounds like a deal to me! I wouldn't part with our '82 for that! But what the heck I wouldn't part with our '82!!!

cdat
01-20-2013, 01:42 AM
Thanks, really appreciate the positive comments. I knew going in it would need new tires, one of the tires has a mfg date of 01. Joined FMHCA to take advantage of their tire program. Does any one know of a good place to buy tires in Boise/eastern Oregon area? It's nice to have a great place too go for good advice

Brad Moore
01-20-2013, 02:27 PM
I believe you got a magnificent deal. I would have bought that in a heartbeat. This is kind of deal I had been looking for a while back and gave up. Well, congrats sir!

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
01-20-2013, 02:51 PM
John, I believe that any Michelin dealer will honor the Advantage price program, will install the tires and you pay Michelin directly. You might try Google to find the nearest Michelin dealer. Good luck.

86loco
01-20-2013, 03:12 PM
John, here is a direct link. I am not a member yet and will probably join with the next coach since I don't need tires on this one.

Michelin Americas Truck Tires Dealer Locator (http://locator.michelintruck.com/) It looks like you put in your address or city and miles etc. and the map will show you some little colored markers. A red marker apparently is for the Advantage Dealers. I don't find as many as some might think. I would call one of the ones close to you and see what they say.

MrE
01-20-2013, 03:56 PM
John, I would give Les Schwab a call. They sell Michelin truck tires and their website states that they provide access to select national accounts. Commercial Truck Tires, Les Schwab Tire Centers (http://www.lesschwab.com/commercial-tires.html)

jWolfe
01-20-2013, 11:56 PM
Good deal brother! Congrats!

cdat
01-21-2013, 01:31 AM
MrE, appreciate the tip on calling Les Scwabe. I was starting to wonder if I was going to find a tire place that did the advantage program.
John