PDA

View Full Version : Handling of various Newell Coach Sizes

Brewers
01-24-2013, 04:40 PM
I'm looking at a couple different sizes of Newell's. I'm leaning more toward a 46' Newell where DW is more interested in an older 42' Newell because she believes it will be easier for her to maneuver. Do you think the 46' would be harder to handle. I've never driven either one, how much practice would you say it takes. Hope to practice in an industrial park when closed on weekends.Any suggestions?

Brewers

ccjohnson
01-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Take your time practicing! LOOK at everything in mirrors & if need be, stop, get out & look. Running over an island curb can damage fiberglass body parts on front & rear.

MrE
01-24-2013, 04:53 PM
I've seen posts on the forum about drivers training courses available for RV owners, might be something to look at if they're available in your area.

DavidBall
01-24-2013, 06:10 PM
I don't think there would be much difference. Driving an newell is a blast and very easy once you get used to it. There is a short learning curve then it is just like driving a car.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
01-24-2013, 09:33 PM
I have driven 40' motorhomes for many years, but switching to 46' requires some getting use to. I have run over several curbs with the tag and have skinned both sides of the rear fiberglass. After doing this a few times, I pay more attention to the mirrors and backup camera, and make a wider swing when turning into an intersection. Hoping my learning curve is over because I enjoy having the extra room a Newell provides.

The Newell
01-24-2013, 10:20 PM
The main thing, is getting used to the new turning radius and where the "new" rear end is located.

express1
01-24-2013, 11:56 PM
The crazy thing is that after awhile, I start swing wide in everything , my cars, trucks, forklifts, riding mowers, and even my golf carts.....:o I don't ride a motorbike anymore.

larryweikart
01-25-2013, 03:27 AM
Tim: Allow me to make this perfectly clear, If Betty can drive a car with confidence, I can teach her how to be relaxed while driving a 45' Coach in 30 minutes (In our Coach!) . Guaranteed!

stewart33
01-26-2013, 01:07 AM
Take the different Newells for a test drive to get a feel for its maneuverability, handling and power.