PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Motor Coach Tire Question

Cheri Smith
01-27-2013, 03:49 PM
I noticed that on the front passenger tire appears to be a couple of what look like "dents" on the outside edge of the treaded portion of the tire. There are two. They look like a sort of a shallow flat spot although the pressure is good. Not losing any air and I can't really tell any difference in the ride quality. Should I be concerned? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

77newell
01-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Hey there: it would be really helpful to have a picture. I also suspect that a lot of others will be as reluctant as I am to proffer an opinion on something like this that has big safety implications. I sure don't want to recommend that it is nothing to worry about then you go have a blowout and mess up your coach and maybe yourselves.

With tire safety issues I would strongly recommend taking the tire, on or off the coach, to a trusted truck tire dealer. If you don't know one ask the local car tire dealer that isn't linked to a truck tire dealer what they would recommend.

Gimpy
01-27-2013, 09:10 PM
This is called sidewall undulation. Take it to a tire dealer. The plys meet at these points and cause a undulation. Normal stuff have it replaced

NewellCrazy
01-28-2013, 01:25 AM
Sounds like you may be describing shoulder erosion. If you are talking about erosion of the shoulder rib, it is a fairly common occurrence on lightly loaded truck steer tires.

It is caused by the center ribs being firmly planted on the road. By being planted more firmly to the road, they have a longer contact patch that then outer ribs that are not forced down to the road as hard. This causes the outer ribs to scrub more than the inner ones. The extra scrubbing causes some erosion on the outer shoulders of the tread.