PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Coolant Question

Scott Whitney
01-30-2013, 09:06 PM
What type of diesel coolant do I need to use?

Scott

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
01-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Depends on which engine you have - dry or wet sleeves.

DavidBall
01-30-2013, 11:54 PM
Get diesel coolant from a truck stop or parts store selling Heavy Duty truck parts.

cdat
01-31-2013, 01:30 AM
Does the DD's have wet or dry sleeves?

Thanks

Neweller
01-31-2013, 02:08 AM
John, it actually depends on what DD engine you are referencing. Your 8V92 is a wet sleeve engine.

Scott Whitney
01-31-2013, 02:24 AM
Depends on which engine you have - dry or wet sleeves.

Sorry should have noted I have an 8V92 Engine.

Scott

cdat
01-31-2013, 03:00 AM
Thanks, wasn't aware there was a difference until I saw Scott's post. Lot's to learn

Thanks

Neweller
01-31-2013, 03:58 AM
John, the learning curve on this stuff actually never ends. Your questions are great as its all important to somebody.:search:

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
01-31-2013, 03:04 PM
Wet sleeve engines, and I think my Series 60 has them, have a tendency to form steam bubbles along the surface of the sleeve. This cavitation causes pitting on the sleeve wall which can eventually destroy the engine. To overcome this problem, use antifreeze that is formulated with chemicals to collapse the bubbles. I believe this is called SCA components. Also, when changing the coolant water filter, use a filter that contains the required chemicals. There are test strips that enable you to verify the correct level of chemicals.

cdat
01-31-2013, 03:08 PM
So the DD in the 91 also has a coolant filter? I will have to go back and reread the info that came with the bus, evidently I've missed a few items, need to make sure I haven't missed any other filters.
Thanks for heads up and info.
John

NewellCrazy
01-31-2013, 03:22 PM
Detroit Diesel Coolant

Detroit Diesel Corporation does not recommend the use of long-life coolant with nitrite in their medium-duty and heavy-duty engines. This also includes Mercedes-Benz engines (MBE 900 and MBE 4000).

This is in response to field complaints from vehicles using NOAT (Nitrite Organic Acid Technology) or extended-life, factory-fill coolant. NOAT was previously approved for use in Series 60 diesel engines, but was revoked in September, 2002. NOAT coolants have never been approved for Mercedes-Benz engines.

The correct coolant to use in Detroit Diesel and Mercedes-Benz medium-duty and heavy-duty diesel engines is conventional (green), fully formulated (pre-charged with SCAs), low-silicate, and phosphate-free. The specification used for the coolant is TMC RP-329; Type A (The Maintenance Council, American Trucking Association). Propylene glycol coolants of this type are covered under TMC RP-330, Type A.

Universal Lubricants’ Dyna-Plex 21C Extended Drain Engine Coolant (pre-diluted) and Dyna-Plex 21C Fully Formulated Engine Coolant meet or exceed all the requirements for use in Detroit Diesel and Mercedes-Benz medium and heavy-duty engines.

I believe only 2-cycle Detroit Diesel engine which have dry sleeves are 6-71 & 8-71 bus series. The 6-92 & 8-92 are wet sleeve as well as most modern diesels.

NewellCrazy
01-31-2013, 03:33 PM
I uploaded this for everyone and it should help answer most questions owners might have in regards to detroit diesel engine requirements including Lubricating Oils, Fuel and Filters.

http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/manuals-datasheets/4533-detroit-diesel-engine-requirements-lubricating-oils-fuel-filters.html#post28982

cdat
01-31-2013, 06:27 PM
Nice, thanks
John

The Newell
01-31-2013, 09:58 PM
I uploaded this for everyone and it should help answer most questions owners might have in regards to detroit diesel engine requirements including Lubricating Oils, Fuel and Filters.

http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/manuals-datasheets/4533-detroit-diesel-engine-requirements-lubricating-oils-fuel-filters.html#post28982

Great upload Sean! I'm positive it will help many members and readers.

Joseph