PDA

View Full Version : RV Resort Metered Electric vs Propane

Ron in South Dakota
02-13-2013, 03:23 PM
I was wondering if you stay in an RV Resort that has a separate metered electric bill. Would it be less expensive to use propane heaters or electric heaters. Would it be better to use the convection oven or the gas oven, assuming you have one.

I would like to know your thoughts.

NewellCrazy
02-13-2013, 07:38 PM
This may help. From the Evergreen Resort page.

Newellin Thunder
02-14-2013, 12:15 AM
Since electric and propane prices vary a lot, depending on location and local rates, this is a not an easy answer. The normal rule of thumb is it takes about 22 kilowatt-hours of electricity to match a gallon of propane for heating. That means you have to compare your cost per kilowatt-hour, which varies from 8c to 40c, to your cost per gallon of propane. Example, electricity is 16c a kilowatt-hour and propane is $3 a gallon so 22 kilowatt-hours costs $3.52, so propane is a bit cheaper.

GORDON HUMMEL
02-20-2013, 09:18 PM
Earnie,
The chart above from Evergreen Resort is using 27 Killowatt hours of electricity for 1 gallon of propane. This is the same # I have used in past calculations.
In past years when I was in Oklahoma, elec was +/- $.08 KWH, propane >$3.25; so electricity was the clear choice.

I'm now in NO Cal now & PGE has 4 rates ranging from $.1318 per KWH for up to 394 hours.......$.29965 per KWH over 512 hours
Fortunately, propane is plumbed to each site at a cost of $2.57 a gallon, so propane is the clear choice.
Diesel is $4.25 so I'm glad I don't have an Aqua Hot.

I might be in the one location where the old coach works better!

Neweller
02-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Isn't it nice how you get to a certain level and the price more than doubles per kilowatt? Propane in Colorado was really expensive and about 30-40% more than say Missouri. Doesn't make sense. A lot of states that produce energy charge more for it than the ones who don't a lot of the times.