PDA

View Full Version : Newell Coach Diesel Engine Block Heater

Birdman
03-02-2013, 04:25 PM
How cold does it have to be before you need to pre-heat your engine, and how long do you heat it before you start it?

NewellCrazy
03-02-2013, 06:46 PM
If it's not below freezing, we usually run the block heater for a couple hours in the morning as we pack up for travel. If it's colder than that (we try to avoid those nights) we'll turn in on the night before and let it run overnight. Using the block heater this way the engine always starts just as if it were a warm summer day

Novice Traveler
03-03-2013, 03:51 PM
If it's going to be freezing or below for the night, we turn the block heater on at bedtime if we are leaving in the AM. Right at freezing does not seem to be near the problem as when it gets in the low 20's or below for an extended period of time.

It's just easier on everything to spin a warmer engine. Frankly, we try to avoid traveling or even being in those kinds of temperatures.

The Newell
03-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Below 30* is an average. How long depends on the type of heater. Obviously an electric block heater will take much longer than an AquaHot. I'd leave the electric block heater on overnight if leaving in the early AM with sub freezing temps. Aquahot with an already warm boiler will only take a few minutes.

chockwald
03-03-2013, 10:10 PM
If it is below freezing I will leave the block heater on all night before planned travel. If it is over 40 degrees usually takes about 45 minutes, and engine starts right up.

Ramblin Ron
03-05-2013, 04:00 PM
We flip on our engine preheat any time it is 35 degrees or less. Only happens a few times a year, as we try to stay where it is warm.

Birdman
03-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Very helpful thanks.

folivier
03-05-2013, 08:00 PM
I'll turn mine on (electric) when I get up in the morning and it fires right up, with no smoking after an hour or so.