PDA

View Full Version : Turned Ignition Key Nothing Happened

Ron in South Dakota
03-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Need advice or best case guesses of problem. Turned the ignition key on and nothing, not even dash lights or gauges moving. Powered on generator without a problem, but even with that on nothing happened.

So what am I facing, dead battery, or worse?

Ron

cdat
03-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Battery switches on, in neutral?

Neweller
03-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Battery switches on, in neutral?

We all have probably done this. If my coach had been sitting for a while and I wanted to start it, I have on a couple occasions forgot to double check if I was in neutral and found that to be my problem.

Vantare
03-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Although I don't own a Newell I am lending my knowledge. First check to see if the main battery disconnect switch is open, if that is not the issue I would check the starting batteries voltages and charge accordingly.

You may well have a simple problem, if the disconnect is open, No start. Batteries dead, no start.

I am leaning toward the disconnect switch

Newell Attack
03-03-2013, 11:52 PM
Some times it can be something as simple as one of the battery connections is not making contact, or one of the fuses on the solenoids has a dirty contact. A volt meter, or a 12 volt tester, plus a lot of patience or luck will help you tract that down. But try testing the batteries first, if not voltage

77newell
03-04-2013, 03:12 AM
Assuming that when you turn the key to ON prior to START the gauges power up then you have at least some battery power. If when you then turn the the key to START absolutely nothing happens then there is an open somewhere in the start circuit. On my 77 coach there is a switch in the rear electrical compartment that by-passes the transmission neutral switch. There have been times when I just couldn't get the starter to engage despite jiggling the gear shifter around. I then go to the electrical cabinet in the rear and engage the starter switch located there and it starts. In my case the neutral switch is just not working as designed in those circumstances. The rear start switch is any easy check on the neutral safety switch. You need to make really sure you have the shifter in neutral and the parking brakes are engaged if you use the rear switch or you could end up chasing your coach down on foot. As far as I know the neutral safety switch is the only switch in the start circuit downstream of the key.

If this above doesn't produce the desired outcome then you need to check the voltage on the terminals of the start solenoid in the rear electrical compartment and if that is operating (you should hear it click as the key is moved to START) OK you will then need to check the solenoid on the starter itself.

If when you turn the key to ON you see no response from the gauges then you have a problem with either the key switch or the power supply to the the key which could originate as far back as the batteries.

folivier
03-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Good idea Jon. I've also heard that if this switch is in the wrong position that the engine won't start from the front ignition switch?

Ron in South Dakota
03-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Thanks guy's ; all good suggestions. I'll go back out later today and check a few items. As far as I'm aware; I only have one battery disconnect correct?

Ron SD

folivier
03-04-2013, 04:44 PM
You should have 2. One for engine and another for coach batteries. There also should be a merge switch, switch that on and it gives you both sets of batteries to start your coach.