PDA

View Full Version : Air shift toggle

cdat
03-03-2013, 05:48 PM
In the 91 I've got a toggle switch on a console to the left and I believe the Allison is a 470.
will/can the air switch/toggle be used to downshift and hold the trans in a lower gear?
is it possible to change to a shift pad like the newer ones, is there a good reason to, like more reliable?
what is the best way to test the jake brake in order to insure it works, preferably prior to finding out the hard way?

GORDON HUMMEL
03-03-2013, 07:30 PM
John,
It's an Allison 740
You can use the switch to downshift & or to hold in a lower gear.
the switch accuates an air solonoid, as oppossed to cable shifters that were popular in the day.
The newer pad type shifters are for an electronic version of the Allisonn not yours.
My 1989 Eagle bus had an electronic Allison 748R & was build 2 years prior to our Newell. Not sure why we don't have the later trans other than someone got a good deal
Mechanical & electrical shift controls are not interchangeable; also that new key pad is very priecy, not to mention the computer it goes to.
You should be able to feel the Jake working! I hear my the most when there is a cement center divider close by.
2 stroke Detroits do not have the best jakes compared to a 4 stroke. Valve adjustment has been know to help jake performance.

NewellCrazy
03-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Hi John,

Not sure if you need this but here is an link to the PDF on your Allison 740 Transmission operators manual.

http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/manuals-datasheets/4519-allison-transmission-mt-ht-series-highway-transmission-ht740-operators-manual.html