View Full Version : Insurance on Land with Shop Structure

03-07-2013, 03:52 AM
I have some property and have built a shop to park my newell in when I am not out seeing our beautiful country. I have set it up with everything I need and use it for storage of our personal goods from our house in a separate area that is climate controlled. It is a 40 X 80 building and when I started counting up the value of all the things that sit there I decided it was time to get some kind of insurance in case of storms, theft, etc. I read a while back that insurance companies don't like to insure a structure if you aren't living there full time. Do some companies insure this type structure? It could actually be considered a farm in a rural area if that would help. Any advice appreciated as I know little about insurance.


The Newell
03-07-2013, 03:40 PM
You have to find a company that will issue you a seasonal home policy. The cost is usually higher than a regular policy.


Archie T. Hogan
03-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Best bet is to call your agent. Insurance coverage amounts varies all over the place state to state and even county to county.

That said, yes out buildings can be insured. And you don't have to show that you are living in them atleast to my knowledge.


03-08-2013, 02:25 AM
Thank you I will give them a call.


BMG Coach
03-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Best advise. Read the exclusions in your policy and it will tell you what is not covered (on a all risk policy). Items that are covered will be listed (on a named perils policy).

03-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Keep in mind Insurance companies are not in business to pay claims. They are in business to make money.

Be upfront with them when getting insurance so that you ARE covered if needed. Don't give them the opportunity to deny your claim.